Thread: new radio causing problems

Tuner in Training

new radio causing problems

i am a amateur tuner just put a pioneer head unit in my 03 Silverado ss bought the chime interface and steering wheel control interface. ok now first attempt to write to pcm failed so I got on here and found just pull radio fuse and that works but writing to pcm is real slow and does not act right it scared me today like it was going to quit mid process what to do should I yank out interface and be done or is there any other solution a write only takes about the time of a write entire now and it just seems skechy to me any help would be appreciated

Senior Tuner
    Try pulling the radio amp fuse also. I wasn't aware HP Tuners had this issue too. With another tuning product I use on older trucks, I sometimes have to pull the radio and radio amp fuse on 03-07 classic trucks with aftermarket radios. It won't even read the PCMs on some of those trucks. Another problem I'm running into more and more is aftermarket remote starts that tie into the purple data line on the ALDL connector will prevent reading and writing to the PCM on those trucks. And then some with aftermarket radios cause no problems at all. That is why I think some of the chime interfaces just work better. Worst case is I pull the blue PCM connector and plug in my bench harness.

Tuner
    It's not just hptuners... We regularly have to disconnect aftermarket radio interfaces along with remote start interfaces to program factory calibrations with the factory MDI..

Tuner in Training
    to my knowledge I don't have a amp fuse it is a non bose non onstar truck but I will look for a amp fuse

Senior Tuner
    I believe it is just to the right and down from the radio fuse.

Advanced Tuner
    I agree with Tek those aftermarket interface will talk on the GM communication line and disturb signals between other modules. I cut them out all the time on a regular basis at work.
    04 Single cab Lq4/243 228r 112lsa, Long tubes, catless, Yank st3000.

Tuner in Training
    thanks guys I hate that I wasted the money on the interface but looks like I will cut it out and go from there

Tuner
    your 03 uses pin 2 vpw for all of it's communication, including boring things like the radio,door lock control,hvac,etc.. during programming events for the ECM/PCM it converts the data line 4x.. In my opinion these aftermarket devices such as a radio module or a remote start don't/can't acknowledge the 4x switch message and stay active on the bus totally messing up 4x communication, at least for the remote starts they seem to lock up a lot when you try to program and even after you disconnect the data line you still need to power cycle the remote start module to get it working again.. I'm not sure if simply removing power to it before programming will work, never tried.. worst case scenario you could try a simply toggle switch on the data line going to the radio and turn it off before programming.. I did do this on my own 2004 S10 and the radio didn't seem to mind..
    Attached Images Attached Images