Thread: knock retard after tuning

Advanced Tuner

knock retard after tuning

Hello, i have been trying to tune a stock 2015 Denali 6.2/A8 and after i only increase the spark timing by 2 degrees over stock i get knock retard(not only does the scanner show it, you can hear it). So what have you guys been doing to increase timing? SOI adjusting or what? I dont have a log file in this computer but i can upload one later. Or what exactly do you adjust to gain some more power?

Post the tune and stock tune

What fuel?

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Advanced Tuner
    First is the stock tune, the second is a tune i basically only added 3 degrees of timing in wot area and the third tune is a tune i adjusted some other parameters and it worked good but not really improved on power. Fuel is just 89 octane. Thats what the owner had in there when i tried tuning it.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by askkmb; 08-13-2015 at 11:32 PM.

Tuner in Training
    good tune is locked

Advanced Tuner
    6. good tune.hpt It should be unlocked now

stock spark maps do knock, they knock on 93.....on 89 they are probably knock a lot. the best you can do is get them as good as you can and redo the low map to mirror the high map less 5-10 degrees in the danger areas.

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah just logged another denali and it had knock on a 100% stock tune. So what does SOI adjusting help with? Only provide more fuel on boosted setups? But where is all the power hidden what everyone states to get on these trucks if its not in the timing?

Tuner in Training
    still locked on 6 good tune file

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by lsp408 View Post
    still locked on 6 good tune file
    How do i unlock it then? I tried opening the tune and disable tuner lock and save it again.

Tuner in Training
    Try to post the unlocked file again?

Tune opens for me It's in beta. If you are hearing knock then I would lower timing sometime it's only related to couple cells in the timing tables. When you take in consideration the adder tables the 2 degrees of timing can turn into 6-8 degrees when you start changing things like bring pe in quicker start adjusting DD tables and you bring in more air mass sooner so little things like that play a big roll in how you set your timing tables up. I use burst knock to help control transit knock ect.....

Mike

Advanced Tuner
    Ok let me see what i can do. What else can there be done to gain some more power?

To gain more power most people lean it out a bit, lessen the knock sensor sensitivity, and remove some of the things that make it "feel" slow/unresponsive... like transient knock and any torque reduction, trans tables, That's it, really. On an engine that's not knocking that works great... engine that is knocking already.. you gain some responsiveness, at the cost or more knock. You can make good power with a little bit of knock... To really gain power you need to increase airflow/lessen the intake restriction. Change cam, add headers, port heads, etc. There are huge gains to be felt by making the engine feel more responsive.. which often that's all people really notice anyway.

Example: Diablo tune for a Hemi simply removes all Long term knock learn, cuts the knock sensor sensitivity by 75%, increases timing everywhere, and leans it out. then the guy complains that it's knocking like a SOB. But sure is responsive. LOL. So I just turned the long term knock back on.. put the knock sensors back to ~75% compared to 25%... now it still runs the same just doesn't knock as much and when he's towing his trailer long term knock will help save is engine.

Attached is a stock Hemi '93 octane tune' knock graph... now this is cruise.. WOT was actually ok. But was leaned out quite a bit is all. BTW, The knock value shows negative in the Beta for this engine... The key to power is max timing, and max AIR fuel ratio... meaning you may get more power with 15 degrees of timing at 13.2AFR than you will with 18 degrees of timing and 12.0AFR. 1/4 mile ET or dyno will tell you what the engine likes better.

Hemi_Knock_93Octane.PNG
    Last edited by 10_SS; 08-30-2015 at 12:16 AM.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Tuner
    6.2s knock real easy I've tuned some the most I do is about 22 degrees on 93 pump gas 0 knock you have to play with knock sensitivity
    Josh Performance Tuning (956)784-0059
    https://www.facebook.com/joshperformancetuning

Tuner in Training
    If you start with premium fuel like it says on the gas door your knock will go away ...

Quote Originally Posted by MattTuneTime View Post
    If you start with premium fuel like it says on the gas door your knock will go away ...
    It will go away because the knock learn is already moved off the High Octane table. It will learn back up a little bit on 93 but not all the way. 93 will ping on the High Octane table. Easy test, copy Hi table to the low table and go drive.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
    It will go away because the knock learn is already moved off the High Octane table. It will learn back up a little bit on 93 but not all the way. 93 will ping on the High Octane table. Easy test, copy Hi table to the low table and go drive.
    I own the truck same truck and drive it daily ... It will not go away because the knock learn is moved ... It will go away because you need the octane... My high and low octane tables are the same ... Stock high octane table... Now on my 14 5.3 Di truck other then a flat punch from a dig it would run on the high octane table wot with 87octane in it ... But that .5 increase in CR and More cyl pressure from the cam in the 6.2 it will ping on the stock tune with 87 octane in it ... did that for the first 400 miles until i read the sticker on the gas door ... LOL
    Last edited by MattTuneTime; 09-04-2015 at 11:37 AM.

What I am saying is that if you copy the stock High table to the low table, run 93 octane, you will get knock. The stock timing tables are not created by GM on E10 93 pump gas.