Thread: Driver Demand, Where to start?

Driver Demand, Where to start?

I'm working on a 14 GMC 6.2L and want to improve the throttle response. I know upping the DD will work but that there's no set amount, its something that you adjust to your liking. What I'd like to know is what would a good amount to start from. Thanks
    99 T/A WS6, original LS1 turbo

Disable Torque Shaping if it isn't already, personally I wouldn't mess with Driver Demand too much, it can really screw up a lot of stuff like up and downshifts, etc.

There are other tables where you can improve low RPM power/response like Cam Timing, Spark Timing, Electronic Throttle opening angle/RPM, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
    Disable Torque Shaping if it isn't already, personally I wouldn't mess with Driver Demand too much, it can really screw up a lot of stuff like up and downshifts, etc.

There are other tables where you can improve low RPM power/response like Cam Timing, Spark Timing, Electronic Throttle opening angle/RPM, etc.
    Ok thanks, I'll give that a try.

Electronic Throttle opening angle/RPM is at 100% across the board. I see that max is 200% can I raise some of the lower rpm area's higher than 100%?

Quote Originally Posted by WS6HUMMER View Post
    Electronic Throttle opening angle/RPM is at 100% across the board. I see that max is 200% can I raise some of the lower rpm area's higher than 100%?
    no, some cars come with 20-30% in the lower RPMs.

Advanced Tuner
    Personally, I think that the DD table is a great place to adjust the overall throttle response on these newer vehicles. As long as you don't go crazy, you can really customize the throttle response to your liking. I'm a novice and have really improved the throttle response without it affecting the shifting. For example - I purchased a mailoder tune for my car and the driver demand table was heavily modified - but it left the throttle feeling "flat" - I would only need a small amount of throttle to get going, but then I had to press it further to keep going (or I would slow down). By customizing the DD table, I was able to make it so when starting from a standstill, I can keep the throttle at one position to accelerate nicely - I don't need to adjust the pedal position at all to keep accelerating smoothly like I did with the mailorder tune.

I also made the throttle less "touchy" at tip-in, to make it so re-application of the throttle is nice and smooth after coasting and made it so less pedal movement was required once I got moving. Hard to explain, but it really lets you customize the throttle response to your liking easily.

However, since the pedal position is also used for shift points, if you 'rape' it too much, you could affect the shifting, like mentioned above. Just lie anything else, you need to find the sweet spot. Take a lot of trial and error, but it can definitely make the vehicle more enjoyable.

Haven't tried to disable Torque Shaping yet - will have to give that a shot. How exactly does it work - does anyone know? SInce the ECM will automatically figure out values between cells, how does torque shaping work any different? Just trying to understand it a little better...

torque shaping alters the curve of the change in throttle position vs change in throttle body position typically numbing it.