Thread: cobalt tuning

Potential Tuner

cobalt tuning

this guy wants to tune my cobalt for $350 with this HPkit...is it worth it...im sure it is. but just want to know what you guys think of it. im new to the HP tuning. my mods are 4.25 inj./2.8 pulley/MAF-T/colder plugs.

It depends on the tuner...
    2005 Stage 2 Saturn Ion Redline
    260whp, 225wtq 14.0 @ 13.7 (2nd time dragging)

RedlineForums.com Moderator and Eager Tuning Noob.
    Chicago, IL

Advanced Tuner
    Personally I'd shell out the extra $150 and just buy HPT and tune it myself.
    2.4L Twin Cam Cavalier Z24 | T3 Super 60 @ 9 PSI | FMIC | TurboXS RFL | Greddy Profec B Spec II | Custom HO Intake Manifold | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | HP Tuners | 5 Speed Swap | Team Green LSD | SPEC Stage 3 Clutch | Fidanza Short Shifter | Prothane Control Arm Bushings | Carbon Fiber Hood

Potential Tuner
    but i dont know the progam at all that what iam saying...and i dont want to mess anything up on my car...and also i have intense stage 3 on my car and will that get rid of the bogging that i have at low RPMS??? i hope so

Advanced Tuner
    Well, as Spooner said, it depends on the tuner. A tuning shop that specializes in 6 and 8 cylinder tuning will probably be lost when they open your ECU and start looking at the parameters. I can almost guarentee you that the shop you are going to has not tuned a 4 cylinder yet, so be leary. I'm not saying they don't know what they are doing, but the way you tune a 4 cylinder is so dramatically different than a 6 or 8, that the tuner could be lost when they start.
    2.4L Twin Cam Cavalier Z24 | T3 Super 60 @ 9 PSI | FMIC | TurboXS RFL | Greddy Profec B Spec II | Custom HO Intake Manifold | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | HP Tuners | 5 Speed Swap | Team Green LSD | SPEC Stage 3 Clutch | Fidanza Short Shifter | Prothane Control Arm Bushings | Carbon Fiber Hood

just as a note here, the 4cyl cobalt code is very similar to later V8 code and very different to the older 4cyl code as used on the J/N-body vehicles. If he has tuned an LS2 then many of the tables will look very familiar.

I would be more concerned with the fact that the guy may not have seen this type of engine before and hence wouldn't know what are the mods that that make it perform safely and the signs that it is on the limit mechanically. Most good engine tuners are also good engine builders and can tell you exactly the known issues with the types of engine they are working on. eg. the stock LS1 has weak spots for FI tuning in valve springs, head gaskets and cylinder fueling inbalance (depending on the manifold design) among other things. Any guy that says you can run 15psi boost on an LS1 without knowing this is building hand grenades.

Forced induction tuning requires experience and is less forgiving than NA tuning.

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...