Thread: Cannot read a Silverado?

Tuner

Cannot read a Silverado?

The other night, I hooked into my brothers '04 Silverado 5.3/4l60e. When I tried to do a "Read All" on his truck, it kept telling me that his PCM was not powered on. I know my unit is ok, because it reads and writes to my Colorado fine, and it scans my Mom's Firebird ok as well.

I tried having the key in both the accessory position and the run (engine off) position, with all the accessories off, and even tried closing the doors... It wouldn't even allow me to do a scan of the truck when it was running. Is it possible its a bad PCM or is this a symptom of a locked PCM? He bought the truck used, so its possible the original owner used a tuner on it...

<---- me after 3 hours of fighting the truck...

Senior Tuner
    What is the exact error message you are getting?

Check for 12v at pin 16 on the OBD II port. Some vehicles power pin 16
    with the cig lighter fuse.

Russ Kemp

Tuner
    Keith, I wrote the messgae down but left it in his truck. I'll hafta head over to the garage and get it when I get off work tonight . It was something to the effect of "Cable detected, but the PCM is not powered" I'll get you the exact message tonight or tommorrow.

Russ, I will also check that. Thanks!

Tuner
    Russ, you were spot on the money with that! Pin 16 had no power (nor did the Cigarette lighter work). He's takign the truck in to have it fixed since its still under warrenty..

Thanks guys!

Most likely the lighter element is shorted out and blew the fuse. Common problem.

Russ Kemp