Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FG XR6T tuning

Advanced Tuner

FG XR6T tuning

This has been a PITA for quite a few reasons for me & cost me ALOT for reason's I wont to go into...YET...

But it seems no matter how small a modification I make to the tune in this car it won't idle properly!

I have attached a stock tune which it idle's perfect on & can see in the log too.

I have a tune that was a quick test just adjusting the turbo control so nothing in idle or spark, which hunt's the idle BAD!!!

Then I have what I would class as a good starting point tune, which it hunt's the idle BAD!!!

There's log's for all & only thing that's causing the modified tunes to hunt seems to be the idle control flag toggles between lockout & RPM control & when this is happening the idle stit is 4+ where as the stock file just has idle flag set as rpm control & idle stit starts around 1.2 & goes as high as 2.2.
    But as to why thats changing even in the slightly modified tune doesn't make sense to me?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner

next 2 atachment's

can only have max 5 attachments so here's the last 2
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    As you say does not make sense, maybe you should try making the changes with 2.24 and see if you have the same issue.
    Tune with actual data not simulated data!.....Applied Road/track Tuning

Tuner in Training
    Couple of questions Grant. I see you have changed quite a few tables there, but some of which i'm not sure are necessary and may be working against you.

O2 sensor config back to 1 and single if you have the standard exhaust fitted. LTFT disabled? I know this is common on Commodores but haven't seen it on Falcons. Open loop boost control? With the latest beta, even without it, the boost level you are commanding will run fine in closed loop. Also WGDC table untouched yet CL disabled? The idle airflow change? High slope changed? Perhaps try flashing the stock tune in and leave these tables alone for the time being, work out what you are trying to achieve from the car (which seems to be stock). The load column 2.5 (22+ psi) ! You could even leave this as stock until your boost runs over 10psi easliy. Even the spark tip in, fuel cut torque and spark torque can go back to standard for the time being.

Start by working on the WGDC table to get your desired boost where you want it and work on the borderline spark table, leaving the MBT spark table as standard also. On an LS engine I have matched high and low octane spark tables, so I can see where you were going with that but it doesn't quite work like that with these tables.

Advanced Tuner
    I have taken the rear (post cat sensor) out & running the wideband in there, hence the rear & single o2 sensor changes!

But yeah I just know that those settings worked in a BF I tuned a while ago so I used it as a start point.

But yeah there were A LOT of changes in there & thats why I just tried the simple changes to see if it did the same idle issue problem & it did even with those small changes so I'm not sure it's anything to do with the tune, maybe just a bug with writing this actual definition?

Tuner in Training
    Have got the latest beta?

Yeah, definitely can't compare the BA-BF to the FG mate.

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah I got the latest yesterday, 2.25.2801

I wasn't comparing the BA-BF I compared the stock BF to the finished BF in 1 version of HPT & then copied the differences into the FG stock file as a starting point.

But regardless even with flashing the stock tune with minor changes it still had the idle issue.

Tuner in Training
    What happens when you flash the stock file back in with no changes?

Advanced Tuner
    it idles fine with the completely stock file as I mentioned above & the stock log file is above to show the difference!

Advanced Tuner
    Grant, as Sasha says put the car back to stock and make sure it idles properly (rear O2 sensor back in). First change I would do is try and increase the boost by a smidgen (0.5 psi) in the mid range. See if it idles, if not then as Yortt says try flashing it with 2.24. If it does not idle then we have a calibration issue for HPT to look at.

Advanced Tuner
    Well I tried EVERYTHING possible with 2.25 & all did the same thing, then spent ages copying all the changes I made in the 2.25 file to the stock 2.24 version & works perfect, so can only assume there's a bug with 2.25 version & this op sys!

Advanced Tuner
    Grant is correct, there is something wrong with the 2.25 HAEDLJ5 calibration. Start doing compares on his stock file with other stock FG calibrations and there are differences that are not correct. Looks like something has been mapped incorrectly.

Advanced Tuner
    I'm not convinced, looking at stock HAEDxxx files there all similar I think for some reason when it's actually writing the file its writing in something different to what's been adjusted, but it doesn't happen with 2.24.

Hopefully if there's others out there that have tuned HAEDxxx OS with 2.25 can add any info or if everyone is still flashing with 2.24?

Is there any additions that are going to be done to flash calibration only on the Ford controllers which will save bricking controllers?

Please email the files in question to support and we can take a look.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Advanced Tuner
    Probably unrelated but will just give my 2 cents.
    I bought a tuned 09 G6et that would stall at the lights occassionally and would also hunt at idle. It had a HAEDJR5 tune in it. The tuner could not resolve it and I could not resolve it. I played with everything.
    So one day I discovered that this was not the factory strategy, the factory strategy was HAEE5L3. Dumped that in and PERFECT. No stall, no hunt stock or tuned.

Comparing the tunes, the way the Dashpot Airflow is done is completely different and the car also drives a bit differently. It tends to hold onto revs a bit more when decellerating.

So my conclusion is that there are a group of strategies that do have the propensity to stall when tuned and it comes down to how the strategy has been tuned. I think the above strategies have been tuned by two different tuners (or teams of tuners) and that the strategy you have just has that propensity to give a crap idle when its played with (for what ever reason).

Don't think you can fix it up by trying to do a compare and using the dashpot figures in HAEE5l3. I would just try a different strategy that is happy with the transmission. You may have to license a few before you find one.

Advanced Tuner
    Just to let everyone know this was a user issue I believe for the tuning side causing the idle switch/hunt issue, not for the failed flash & HPT say the debug.dat file said the last write was succesfull so they wanted nothing to do with the expense of buying another controller & paying someone to link it & then having to license another controller!

But back to the topic the idle hunt issue happens regardless of it was flashed with 2.24 or 2.25 & as we know we either have to get the boost tables spot on or disable the P1227 voltage, but whatever you do don't max out the timer as this will cause the idle flag/hunt issue.

Just to let everyone know, guessing others out there already knew this but just didn't PIPE up.

Advanced Tuner
    Appreciate the feedback Grant, Being a home tune on a B Series, i haven't come across that one. Good find.
    Ford BF Turbo Ute,Stock head/cams, In house built bottom end,Atomic Springs, Forged Rods,Cosworth Pistons,Atomic Billet oil pump gears,ARP Head/mainstuds,Process West Stage 3 Cooler Kit- Plazmaman plenum,Precision Int.Gate 6466,Manta twin 3" exhaust,ID1000s Plazmaman surge with Holley 12-1800 pump, Home Built ZF6H26, On United Pump E85 499rwkw 10.5@135mph https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgZupPhrMss
    Latest mods, FG intake manifold conversion and ID1300s-500rwkw, Yet to see the 1/4Mile

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant LS1 View Post

but whatever you do don't max out the timer as this will cause the idle flag/hunt issue.

Just to let everyone know, guessing others out there already knew this but just didn't PIPE up.
    What timer?????

Advanced Tuner
    P1227 Time Constant.png
    Wastegate Actuator P1227 time constant

Advanced Tuner
    image.jpg

So I got a bit bored & seeing this controller is a brick due to failed HPT write process I took the lid off it!

From what I'm told the only way to get controller working again is to lift EEPROM & write a bin file directly to it, any tips or tricks would be appreciated!

Getting a new lid for it would also be nec. seeing they don't lift cleanly!