Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setting Rear 02 to Disable - What does Emissions See?

Senior Tuner

Setting Rear 02 to Disable - What does Emissions See?

If I set the 02 sensors to "disabled" in the fueling section, does the emission test show as N/A for the system or Not ready?

Tuner in Training
    I've been curious on this as well. Installing longtubes w/o cats in a few days and been looking at how to properly disable the rears.

I believe that to pass emissions they will look to see that your rear O2's are in a "ready" state. If disabled, I'm not sure whether they show n/a or not ready or something else.

To prevent this, you can set the Engine | Fuel | Open & Closed Loop | Closed Loop Enable | ECT Rear to something that will never happen. Mine is at 374*.

When I am running my wideband in those bungs, I set the rear O2's to disable.
    2013 Dodge Challenger RT Plus - Shaker

Senior Tuner
    Thanks but that is specifically why I am asking, need to know if they will show N/A or Not Ready.

Anyone else know?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 06300CSRT8 View Post
    Thanks but that is specifically why I am asking, need to know if they will show N/A or Not Ready.

Anyone else know?
    Why not just set them to disabled and look with the scanner to see if they show up as N/A?

A flash only takes a few minutes to find out.

Senior Tuner
    Car is sitting in storage for another month so I am trying to see if anyone has tried it, trying to be prepared for what if anything I need to order before it comes out. I have ordered up antifoulers and some stainless steel to attempt that fix, but debating if I need to just suck it up and order some cats.

Senior Tuner
    I would be forever grateful if someone would do it for me??

Tuner
    it will show the monitor as "not ready".

Senior Tuner
    Thanks Scotty - so we truly don't have a way to get our cars setup for emissions like the GM platform does. Very frustrating.

Tuner
    you can try to shut it off in the dtc menu under engine diagnostics. that's how I shut off all of my evap shit. and it shows up as N/A instead of not ready. just a suggestion not 100% sure it will work the same way but worth a shot.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottyb_288 View Post
    you can try to shut it off in the dtc menu under engine diagnostics. that's how I shut off all of my evap shit. and it shows up as N/A instead of not ready. just a suggestion not 100% sure it will work the same way but worth a shot.
    Depending on how they monitor emissions monitor status in your county, showing an "N/A" status for a monitor that should show as "Ready" for a particular vehicle could end up getting you flagged and sent to the county health department. At least, that's how it works here in Utah, Salt Lake County for the last 3 years.

N/A status is how I used to pass under the radar for a car that had pretty much zero emissions components still installed on it. A Mopar Staged PCM (for the Neon SRT-4 platform) would set all the emissions monitors to N/A rather than Ready/Not Ready. It worked beautifully for several years, until the health department wised up and made a change to how they monitor emissions monitor status.

If it isn't implemented as such in your given area, that's awesome. But it could change at any moment with zero notice, so keep that in mind.

Senior Tuner
    Which check box turns it off completely? There is only a MIL and SES check box

Tuner
    I unchecked both on my evap. Not sure what just one will do. I can try it after work real fast and report back if need be.
    Last edited by Scottyb_288; 02-19-2016 at 03:20 PM.

In NY and most other states that do testing through the odb port. Cars from 2000 and newer are allowed 1 monitor not ready. 96 to 1999 are allowed 2 not ready.

So if you have no cats its pretty easy. Just turn off p0420 and p0430. This will keep the cel off and just not set the cat monitor. As long as everything else is working your good to go.

Now i have seen some cars that have been tuned that fail inspection due to both the cat and the o2 monitors not being ready. This is usually due to the tuner raising the rear o2 activation temp to the max number which keeps it from ever being used and in turn wont let the rear o2 monitor run. Simply set it back to the stock temp (my car was 14f) and dive it and the rear o2 monitor will set.

It will never show n/a for a monitor. Only not ready.

So basically if you don't have cats everything else like o2's and evap system must be functioning to have enough complete monitors to pass inspection.

Senior Tuner
    Very helpful, thank you. CT is the same as NY so I will try to get this thing to one system not ready, currently have an EVAP leak too, so have to deal with that first.

Will it be ok to have the cat monitor be not ready? I know 1 is allowed but didn't think that specific system was ever allowed to not be ready.

[QUOTE=06300CSRT8;419054Will it be ok to have the cat monitor be not ready? I know 1 is allowed but didn't think that specific system was ever allowed to not be ready.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't matter which one is not ready

I'm running an 06 charger with a stroked 426 and twin 78mm turbos and no cats and it passes ny inspection.

Keep in mind if you don't have cats, unless you know know person inspecting it. They will probably fail it upon visually noticing there are no cats in the car,

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by jabbott1 View Post
    Doesn't matter which one is not ready

I'm running an 06 charger with a stroked 426 and twin 78mm turbos and no cats and it passes ny inspection.

Keep in mind if you don't have cats, unless you know know person inspecting it. They will probably fail it upon visually noticing there are no cats in the car,
    Thanks, got that part covered

Tuner in Training
    Anybody ever figure out if N/A will work for passing smog? im in CT and trying to get my 06 Srt8 jeep though smog with long tubes and no cats

Tuner in Training
    Can you explain what you did more clearly and on what type of vehicle?

Tuner in Training
    Update.. JUST PASSED CT smog with monitors all reading N/A According to the emissions tech lots of german cars have monitors that come up as N/A and they just passes them. Hope this helps!