Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 300c rear o2 delete help

Advanced Tuner

300c rear o2 delete help

I get p0038, p0420 and p0430. I have unchecked the boxes in the dtc tab and also maxed out the ect rear temp and they still appear. Ill include the tune file if somebody wants to take a look. Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner
    What version of vcm are you using and what year is the 300c?

Advanced Tuner
    2.25.2798 downloaded a few days ago. Its a 2005 chrysler 300c 5.7.

Advanced Tuner
    Anyone?

It appears all the right boxes are ckd. off for those codes. There is one downstream o2 not disabled but that doesn't make much sense for both 420 and 430. What are you using to read the codes

Advanced Tuner
    Hpt scanner reads those codes and also tried another scanner(which i'm not sure of the brand) and check engine light is on.

The codes were the same on the generic scanner/

Advanced Tuner
    Yes same codes

Just did a compare to a 6.4l w/o cats that doesn't throw 420/430 (Catalyst Efficiency) codes and the only difference that stood out was P0421 and P0431 (Warmup Catalyst Efficiency) were checked for MIL in your tune, but unchecked in the other tune. I would think the PCM would be differentiating correctly between warmup and after, but might be worth a shot to try unchecking 421 and 431, in case it see's the efficiency down during warmup but doesn't have enough run time to throw a code until after its out of the warmup threshold. Would still be weird if that's the case, with 420&430 being unchecked...

Senior Tuner
    Unchecking the O2 DTCs in the DCX files can have some strange results. The easiest way to disable the rear O2s is to raise the enable temperature threshold and leave the DTCs stock. If you keep the O2s plugged in, you shouldn't get any codes.
    Jaime

Tuner in Training
    I just took my Jeep to the shop to have longtubes w/o cats installed. Went ahead and raised the enable ETC for the rears to 374*, and got check engine light after warmup. Have not changed any of the DTC's in the tune.

ElecTech, can you elaborate on what "strange results" you've seen? Should have vehicle back this afternoon, so I'll try unchecking the DTC's and see what happens I suppose.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonHD View Post
    I just took my Jeep to the shop to have longtubes w/o cats installed. Went ahead and raised the enable ETC for the rears to 374*, and got check engine light after warmup. Have not changed any of the DTC's in the tune.

ElecTech, can you elaborate on what "strange results" you've seen? Should have vehicle back this afternoon, so I'll try unchecking the DTC's and see what happens I suppose.
    I ran into issues when we tried to physically remove the rear O2s from the system. I tried deselecting the option in the tune and it would cause all types of O2 codes and heater codes so the easiest solution was just to hook them back up, set all the options to stock, and just raise the ECT threshold. That was with CMR software which doesn't label its DTC options very well. I have yet to try with HP Tuners, but I know Diablo engineers all but confirmed the quirkiness of the DCX trouble reporting scheme.
    Jaime

Senior Tuner
    What DTC codes did you get?

Tuner in Training
    Was headed to shop and didn't hook scanner up. I'll be able to look this evening, but only thing I changed was the ETC rear enable temp.

Tuner in Training
    Seems I'm getting p0125 Insufficient Coolant Temp for Closed Loop Control. This because the rear enable ETC is too high?

Senior Tuner
    Nope sounds like you're running a cooler thermostat, your car still goes into closed loop on the front sensors regardless of the rear settings, you have to lower the main ECT for closed loop, make sure you didn't raise the wrong one. The main one should be around freezing temp (32-36* F)

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 06300CSRT8 View Post
    Nope sounds like you're running a cooler thermostat, your car still goes into closed loop on the front sensors regardless of the rear settings, you have to lower the main ECT for closed loop, make sure you didn't raise the wrong one. The main one should be around freezing temp (32-36* F)
    This.

Tuner in Training
    Trying to figure out what I'm missing. Yes, I did install a 180 tstat the day before having the longtubes w/o cats installed. If I'm looking right in the tune, the main ECT is set at 5 degrees. I've attached a screenshot of all the codes its throwing, even after turning off all the DTC's in the tune except P0125 and P0128. Even turned off all the EVAP dtc's. Any insight would be appreciated.

DTCs.JPG

14-Jeep_Grand_Cherokee-JasonW07-DTCs_Off.hpt

Senior Tuner
    Youre tripping the time clock from startup to reach your desired ECT.

First off for a 180 thermostat in
    SYSTEM>Fans>Control by ECT>PWM Desired ECT

This controls everything as far as fans on/off, nothing else matters. For a 180 therm make the top cell 180 and the bottom cell 175. Your's is too high and your fans aren't going to match up to the thermostat.

For your code popping, I would actually recommend turning off the rear sensors through the airflow:

ENGINE>Fuel>Open & Closed Loop>Closed Loop Enable
    Set ECT Rear to 50*
    Set Min Airflow Rear to 1450lb/hr

Reset the PCM and see how it acts.

What are you engine temps like even with the codes currently?

Tuner in Training
    Engine runs at a consistent 185. 188 if in stop and go traffic here in Houston
    Since factory tstat was 203, I just took 23 degrees off the factory settings. I'd had them lower, but fan seemed to run on high speed more often.

What's procedure for resetting the PCM to clear out the codes?