Thread: 05 C6 - How do I keep it from shifting past 2nd gear? I only want 1-2 nothing else.

05 C6 - How do I keep it from shifting past 2nd gear? I only want 1-2 nothing else.

I have a LS2 C6 with an a4 trans.

I sometimes bracket race this car and want to do this tune at the track only.

When driving the end of the track, I need to let off the gas and get back on it sometimes.
    I am running 1/8 mile only and it only shifts from 1st to 2nd and does not need 3rd.
    When I let off, it shifts to 3rd or 4th gear then sometimes I may need to get back on it and
    it has to down shift and by that time the race is over and I probably lost because I had no
    power when I needed it. Also by staying in 2nd it would help to kill more et as I pump the gas.
    Which would make things better for me.

Can I just change the part throttle numbers to something that won't be reached for 3 and 4
    and change the full throttle to something that can't be reached?
    1998 z28 A4 mods are 347 forged shortblock, prc 5.3l stg2.5, long tubes 3'' moroso siralflow dumped, ms3 cam, PTM 90mm TB, Fast 90mm intake, Electric Water Pump.This is my bracket racing car.

It's easier to run your numbers if you keep your foot on the floor and don't pedal at the end of the track. I'm sure that you can use big numbers in the chart to keep it from shifting up at wot, but I'm not sure about when you let off the gas. How about shifting at a lower rpm from 1-2 and 2-3 and work on your starting line--like a .00 light. I'm in 3rd gear about the 330' mark---I need to be more consistant at the light. Anyway, just my two cents. Bracket racing is fun. Starts here on Sunday
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

Advanced Tuner
    Can you not just put the shifter in 2nd and have 1st and 2nd gear? Im not familiar with the c6 setup.
    2008 Denali XL AWD LSA Blower
    2010 CTS-V
    2005 LLY Duramax SAS
    2015 Denali

Quote Originally Posted by Lakegoat View Post
    It's easier to run your numbers if you keep your foot on the floor and don't pedal at the end of the track. I'm sure that you can use big numbers in the chart to keep it from shifting up at wot, but I'm not sure about when you let off the gas. How about shifting at a lower rpm from 1-2 and 2-3 and work on your starting line--like a .00 light. I'm in 3rd gear about the 330' mark---I need to be more consistant at the light. Anyway, just my two cents. Bracket racing is fun. Starts here on Sunday
    I'm where I need to be on the tree. Heck I can get better lights in this car than I can with my full blown race car(which is down for new set up) for some reason. I hit .010 or less most of the time. Problem I have with this car is it is inconsistent a lot. I have to drive the end of the track most of the time. Even if it was dead on, I don't want to take any more stripe than I have to. The way it is right now is if I let off it upshifts and then I'm dead in the water. Also It would be helpful for it to stay in second to loose more numbers faster and that would make driving the end better for me.
    1998 z28 A4 mods are 347 forged shortblock, prc 5.3l stg2.5, long tubes 3'' moroso siralflow dumped, ms3 cam, PTM 90mm TB, Fast 90mm intake, Electric Water Pump.This is my bracket racing car.

Quote Originally Posted by SUTTERERMAN85 View Post
    Can you not just put the shifter in 2nd and have 1st and 2nd gear? Im not familiar with the c6 setup.
    I can't remember why, but I don't think that works. It may take off in 2nd if you have it in 2nd to start with and trying to shift it is not what I want to do.

Your original thought should be correct. It is for my car anyway. Max the full throttle values and to be honest I'd even max the part throttle values, but that's because I'm too lazy to come up with numbers I won't reach.
    2008 Pontiac G5 2.2L (main oil seal became a crunchy Autumn leaf, RIP)
    2016 Fiesta 1.0L Ecoboost - Project "not-so-detestable"

OK I did some tinkering with full and part throttle. I have it now where if I put it in 3 it will never shift past 2nd. I'm not sure why but in OD it acts funny. I may check it out later, but it is working in 3 for now and I am headed to the track.

Advanced Tuner
    if you have a power mode button, then for the power mode shift strategy put all your 0 to 100% tps values to the same value. I do this on the 6l80e in tutd mode so that if you pull back on the pedal it will not upshift until it gets to the required vehicle speed.

so work out what speed u want 1st to 2nd to happen and set the entire column of data to that speed.
    same thing again with 2nd to 3rd except set it to a value you wont get to so it just hits limiter and never upshifts.

problem solved.