Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VVE Editor V3.0...NEW NEW and LEARNING

VVE Editor V3.0...NEW NEW and LEARNING

Hey gang!

I'm just cracking the "tuning" can open and have HPT V3.0, as of last wek , nver seen the inside of a PCM before WOW!

As a learning run I am trying learn to re-calibrate the V-VE tables on E38 PCM based off STFT+LTFT. The new V3.0 has the Virtual VE table editor but no real "How To" yet.

1) I've kicked the car into SD only by failing the MAF etc, I think I got that right.
    2) Ive logged the Maths "STFT+LTFT" against RPM/Load to match the axis on the VE table.
    3) Can I now just take those +/- Trim Values and Paste% over to the V-VE Editor table, then calculate new coefficients, flash tune.....re-log to validate?

disclaimer: BRAND NEW TO THIS, and not really looking to "re-tune" my truck...yet. I am just looking to get used to the flow of VE/MAF and on tuning......THANKS MUCH!! Also, I have read plenty of the V2.24 and older How To's, just making sure I can transfer what I understand ther into the new guy + V3.0 tools.

Cheers!!

Sounds right, as you get closer to 0% error, start multiply by 50% error to prevent over/undershoot.....to tell if you are in SD, you should have a check engine light (unless you NO MIL or unchecked SES) and/or a DTC Code. Another way to tell is zero the MAF table from say 3300 and up. If you give it pedal and it dies, then you haven't failed over.

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Fantastic, gracias, Mo.

Curious about wideband instead of the STFT+LTFT error too. I got an LM2 BNIB for SnGs. Would I leave the tune in MAF fail, run my wideband in one of the front o2's, and base my error off Commanded AF vs Wideband Actual AF? I'll start readon up on that angle of attack to, but thought I'd ask here.

So far I've only read about non-PE sections of the table and bought the wideband to learn the whole taco eventually. Am I correct to say you can more precisely get the non-PE cells, below 3k'ish, if you go right to the WB vs. commanded in SD?

By the way, I am playing/learning this whole architechture and EFI in general with my Gen 4 5.3l now, in my daily Yukon Xl. The end plan is to get fluent enough in tuning so I can start up and tune my '05 5.3l that's getting dropped into my lowrider '72 GMC longbed......and turbo'd .

Cheers for more input!! I like to dive in and slam my face, it's just faster, and I appreciate any assistance in helping me gain speed of any manner!

You can also log "airflow calc mode" to be sure you're in MAF or SD. I think the names it will show are 'high speed' and 'normal' for MAF and SD respectively. Hopefully I got that right.

Using the wideband instead of fuel trims for non-PE areas really should give you the same result. Either way you're either calculating a "correction" percentage using wideband reading vs. commanded or you're using fuel trim values which are doing the exact same thing. Either way should work.

If you want to tune the VE table (i.e. SD) then fail the MAF, tune the non-PE areas with fuel trim data, use whatever rough trends you see to make some ballpark adjustments to higher areas (or at least kind of halfway point them in the right direction). Then you can use wideband in PE areas by comparing actual AFR vs. commanded and making corrections accordingly

For MAF, re-enable MAF, set dynamic airflow disable to a low RPM, something like 100.. that will switch you over to only using the MAF. Same thing.. you can tune non-PE sections with WB or fuel trims. PE sections require a WB.

I personally like tuning E38's in open loop mode/wb as the "Rich after Flash" phenomenon is pretty close to none....alot less frustrating.

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

True, true.. they go a bit haywire when first turned back on, but I'm sure you already knew that

I was able to get the WB reading in Channels, and Graphed to AR Err. Damn was that easy with a USB cord on the LM2. Getting excited to dig in, I've learned so GD much stuff and now all the tools are coming into place also.

Anyhow, as far as the WB sensor, do I just remove one of the front O2 sensors and drop the WB in there?

The process is the same any way you do it. Figure out error (via fuel trims or through WB), adjust VE or MAF tables accordingly (whichever you have active), rinse/repeat until errors are minimal.

You can either have another bung added to your exhaust system or do you like you mentioned and just remove one of the front ones.

Some WB's have a "simulated" narrowband output that you can connect to the factory O2 wiring to keep it in closed loop while using the WB in place of the NB's. I don't love doing it that way but it seems to work for some.
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    The process is the same any way you do it. Figure out error (via fuel trims or through WB), adjust VE or MAF tables accordingly (whichever you have active), rinse/repeat until errors are minimal.

You can either have another bung added to your exhaust system or do you like you mentioned and just remove one of the front ones.

Some WB's have a "simulated" narrowband output that you can connect to the factory O2 wiring to keep it in closed loop while using the WB in place of the NB's. I don't love doing it that way but it seems to work for some.

Roger that, and I am keeping the WB "portable" so looks like the front o2s will be trick!

I've attached my "Fail to SD" tune, would anyone be willing to review to make sure it's tight? Also included the graphs......and yes they're hacked and disorganized b/c I am learning on the fly here! And I just realized I left the EQ Ratio by RPM to 1.13. Should I change that to keep things simple and at stoich??

Tune 1 + Fail MAF - SD Calib Logging.hpt

VE vs. Fuel Trim.Table.xml

I can post these in getting started if that's more appropriate...?!?!
    Last edited by mercrising; 03-06-2016 at 08:54 PM.

I usually also change DTC's P101, P102 and P103 to MIL on first error, just so the CEL comes on when the MAF fails. Not a big deal either way though..

I made a poor assumption that the LM2 wideband controller would feed HPT through the serial/usb cable. Am I correct that the wideband signal needs to come from the analog .5v cable on the LM2, and connect to one of the 6 input slots on the HPT-Pro?

Is there any way to see the WB readings in HPT thru the USB/serial?

I do see all the tutorials on how to hook up the analog, seems easy enough. I'd sure prefer to just plug that son of gun in USB if possible......which looks more fleeting by the second.
    Last edited by mercrising; 03-08-2016 at 07:51 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Keith has my lm-2 and my mtx-l and is working on getting the serial connection corrected.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...eband-Feedback
    Last edited by whistler777; 03-08-2016 at 09:01 PM.

They be working on the serial support. We are anxiously waiting

Tuner in Training

I'll pray with you, SERIAL WOULD BE $$$$$$$$$!

Tuner in Training
    I hope it's working soon. I haven't heard from Keith. I'm daily driving car and think I'm ready to do some wot tunning.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mercrising View Post
    I was able to get the WB reading in Channels, and Graphed to AR Err. Damn was that easy with a USB cord on the LM2. Getting excited to dig in, I've learned so GD much stuff and now all the tools are coming into place also.

Anyhow, as far as the WB sensor, do I just remove one of the front O2 sensors and drop the WB in there?
    As long as you are in Open loop, yes, you can replace a front O2 with your WBO2. For quite a while I always welded in a secondary bung then after thinking about it, I figured that the bung in there is fine as the NBO2s aren't doing anything while tuning.

Alright, so I'm a little confused. I have my NB tune in the VVE editor done and now have a WB setup to tune WOT. Do I use the same VVE editor, fail the MAF, activate PE, and tune the higher RPM areas in the VVE table or am I editing a PE table? So freaking much to learn here!!!!

That depends on what you are trying to do

If you want to change the commanded AFR @ WOT then adjust PE table

If you want to make adjustments for the difference in actual AFR vs. commanded AFR @ WOT, then adjust VVE table based on wideband error (with MAF failed)

Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    That depends on what you are trying to do

If you want to change the commanded AFR @ WOT then adjust PE table

If you want to make adjustments for the difference in actual AFR vs. commanded AFR @ WOT, then adjust VVE table based on wideband error (with MAF failed)
    OMG wat I would give to have just 1/32 of your tuning knowledge!! This makes sense. So adjust commanded AFR in the PE table...and adjust the error (just like in NB tuning) in the VVE table, but with PE enabled... In your experience, what is the optimal commanded AFR for a dialy driver that sees the track a few times a year?