Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: some tuning help please for a newbie.

Banned

some tuning help please for a newbie.

ok. here we go. made a few changes to my 06 corvette, took it to the tuner/dyno and he got it running to the point where he said drive it and put a few miles on it to break in the engine. while it is driveable its less than ideal. it starts right up. it idles fairly well if not a little high. but when I stab the throttle is stumbles considerably before it starts raising RPM. any help to make it a little more driveable would be greatly appreciated.
    06 corvette MNL Z51
    419 LS3 Eforce supercharger, comp blower cam .624/.624 lift, full headers and exhaust no cats.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Where are you located?

Fuel trims look pretty bad. I would stay off the throttle like they probably told you to do until you get the tune really done

I don't really think they need much break in personally

You need a wideband on it to see what is going on during quick throttle changes

It looks like burst knock retard is enabled so that may be part of what you're feeling. Just a guess

I also notice the commanded AFR never changes when you get on it, so it isn't going into PE either.
    Last edited by schpenxel; 03-19-2016 at 09:32 PM.

Banned
    schpenxel thanks for the reply.
    LOL yeah I didnt think any of it looked great. But then Im not a "tuner" either. I know enough to be dangerous but at least I admit it. Personally I think the tuner was just tired of looking at my car when he told me to put some miles on it.
    I do have a wideband. Its a standalone and not tied into HPtuners. the dyno guy had sensors in both banks while it was on the dyno though.
    I am located in Iowa and the selection of tuners is extremely slim here. thought I would tinker with it a bit if I had someone anyone to lend a hand and give me some guidance. this is the first fuel injected car I have ever hopped up. Im primarily old school of small and big block muscle car era. so needless to say I am out of my comfort zone.

Most standalone WB units have a 0-5v analog out. If you dont have HP Tuners Pro, you can wire it into the EGR circuit or the A/C pressure sensor (what I did). schpenxel helped me get mine up and running and I've been tuning along ever sense. Once you have the WB wired in, the thread linked below should get you started. This is all fresh on my mind since I JUST did it, so I'll help as much as a fellow newbie can.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...ssure-with-3-0

Banned
    wacker, thanks for your reply. I do have HPT pro but I am using an Autometer wideband and it has a plug on the end of it that plugs into the gauge. I would probably have to cut off in order to hook it up to HPT. so it would probably be better just to buy a sensor for the HPT any suggestions on a good one? I will have a look at the link you posted, thanks again.

http://www.wide-band.com/product-p/apsx_d2n.htm Is the wide band I'm running. It was hella cheap and works great. Comes with a Bosch sensor. You could get it and just plumb it in temporarily for tuning.

That thread I linked is only for those that don't have pro. Schpenxel did a great writeup for the pro version and 3.0 wideband. He also did a kick ass writeup on making a chart for VVE tuning. It and others are linked in the below thread.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...tarted-Threads
    Last edited by Wacker; 03-20-2016 at 07:39 AM.

Banned
    I looked over my documentation and found I can use this gauge with the HPT pro. however its not a 0-5 its 0-4v so I think I will just look for a sensor to use strictly with the HPT since I already have extra bungs in the exhaust that are plugged and not being used.

Banned
    one question I do have though. when I took it to the dyno my MAP is reading 12.2psi with car on and not running. how do I calibrate it to read approx 14.8 which is what my area is on average?

I don't see why a 0-4v reference couldn't work. You might just have to do a custom math for it. I can't help with the MAP calibration. I didn't have to mess with mine. I learned a ton just by searching the forum and reading till my brain hurt. There is good HPTUNERS info on other forums like ls1tech also.

Banned
    Oh I know the 0-4v would work. im just looking at it being easier to have a dedicated wideband for the HPT so if I want to use it on something else its ready to go. besides the wiring for the Autometer is a royal pain to get to. the corvette does not offer much room to work with for hiding wiring. and I would prefer not to undo what I did only to have to hide it again. any suggestion on a wideband sensor? there are many to choose from.

and yes my old brain already hurts. im just trying to figure out where to begin to sort out the mess I have. well its not that bad I guess. but its considerably more complicated than tuning a carb engine of olde.

http://www.wide-band.com/product-p/apsx_d2n.htm is the sensor I'm running. Super cheap. Easy hookup.

I'd start by getting the MAF and VE tables into shape. Those are pretty easy to log and do. You won't need the widband until you start tuning the upper ranges of the MAF and your Power Enrichment tables. Those have more to do with power and performance than drivability. Once you get those dialed in, start logging knock retard and get your spark/timing dialed in.

MAF tuning.. http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...er-V3&p=419231

MAF is easy to tune. Get a good MAF tune and you can drive on that instead of the VE tables, until you get VE dialed in.

Banned
    bought a wideband sensor. looked at the link you posted. its using the Bosch LSU 4.2 sensor. did some searching found the 4.9 is the latest version. It will be here wed. will work on the MAF and see what I can do with the VE tables. would like to be working on that right now. but have a customer screaming for a part so gotta do real work today. thanks for the help so far. greatly appreciated

There are various things in the tune that could help. Without a list of modifications it is hard to direct. Your log data is not complete enough to get a good picture of what is going on. You list of pids needs to include more info.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    jsllc I am assuming that list you posted is what I should be logging to get a better picture of whats going on? I will work on that once I get the wideband sensor and get a little time to jump into it. thanks.
    the list of mods is as follows. ask if there is something I missed and you need to know as far as mods.
    419 LS3 stroker 9.7:1 ross pistons, manley H beam rods
    Edelbrock E-force S/C with 2.75 pulley.
    PRC 247 heads
    comp cams blower cam .624/.624 lift 289/293 dur
    lunati lifters
    light flywheel
    scorpion rockers
    80lb bosch injectors
    steel damper
    meth injection installed but not setup yet.
    headers with full exhaust no cats

You have a lot of work ahead. I would advise you to be very careful and NOT stab the throttle. I know it is a temptation that is always there but if things are not right it only takes once. I have a car that is going through that right now. Blew a head gasket, warped a head and scored the cylinders. Basically, starting over with new engine. Keep in mind you cannot have it all. Cheap,Fast, Good. Pick one, is what I tell customers. It also looks like you went to a custom 2bar OS? As far as widebands. There are many. Response time is important. Analog 0-5v has its own set if issues. Digital is harder to get going but easier to keep accurate. On my car it is an AFR500. Accurate but slow. This means that on rapid transitions it is not so accurate. I am changing. Going to something quicker and digital. http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...d-beta-testers. Not quite ready from prime time but soon.

What boost are you trying to achieve?
    What fuel are you wanting to run?
    Intake Mods?

Banned
    yes it is a 2 bar. as for stabbing the throttle. that might not have been the most accurate description. lets say goose it instead. and yes I understand about the cheap fast and good scenario. I do machine work for a living same concept applies there.
    as for boost, I dont really have a target in mind. boost is nice but I want it streetable. I am running premium pump gas and would prefer to keep it that way. I want to drive it, not go drag racing with it. well maybe now and then but thats not the primary purpose and even then probably not on the strip. no mods were done to the intake at all.

First thing you need to do is make sure your injector data is correct. Are you running a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator?
    1968 Chevy C10 SWB - Project
    2018 Denali L5P