Thread: Manual swap on a Pontiac G8 GT has hit a bit of an iceberg...

Tuner in Training

Manual swap on a Pontiac G8 GT has hit a bit of an iceberg...

Hi there, I'm hoping I can get some advice on the issues we've hit swapping an Aussie TR6060 M6 transmission into my formerly A6 Pontiac G8GT.

Background is that I read the ECM only using the facility to select either ECM only or TCM only in v3 of HP Tuners. Comparing this file with ones from M6 VE Holden Commodores or a GXPs from the repository, it looks the same... in the trans window the transmission type is set to manual and it only has the two manual options related tabs 'general' and 'manual'. Took the car to my mate's shop and flashed in the ECM only tune (used write OS which I'm wondering now if that was the right choice or no).

Mechanically, the swap is done. A new 9.5 harness was swapped in, the clutch pedal position sensor harness was added and we have a bcm from a guy online who has reprogrammed them for other G8 guys doing this swap. Car starts and drives fine but we're getting an ABS light, we don't have reverse lights and the brake lights start on then turn off for good when the pedal is pressed. C0161 71 codes are being put on the EBCM and C0227 06 in the BCM.

Would love any advice people might have for this. I've attached the tune I used, is this actually a proper manual tune or would it still be trying and reference the TCM?

ECU_Only_4.hpt

Any advice much appreciated!

cheers
    Nathan
    2009 PBM Pontiac G8 GT RCR Cam and tune, big brakes, stiff suspension, noisy exhaust, lots of smiles. wheelwell

Tuner in Training
    Got some shots of the codes we're hitting. Particularly concerned about the ECM throwing U0101 as I thought from the segment swap thread that reading the ECM only and flashing that before the swap was meant to give me a manual only tune that should not be trying to find the TCM any longer.

IMG_6336.jpg
    IMG_6337.jpg
    IMG_6338.jpg
    IMG_6339.jpg

Is there anything in the tuned attached to my first post that would be trying to find the TCM? What is the solution for this? License a M6 VE Commodore / GXP tune, copy over my settings, change the vin and write that instead? In a hole here and could really use some advice.... As you can no doubt tell, I'm a newb but I'm very willing to learn!
    2009 PBM Pontiac G8 GT RCR Cam and tune, big brakes, stiff suspension, noisy exhaust, lots of smiles. wheelwell

Tuner in Training
    Hi everyone, can anyone point in the right direction on this? going to pick up work again on Saturday morning and at the moment my only guess is to throw money at it by licensing a factory M6 tune and seeing if that works. I'd really like to have some input on if this is the right approach before just winging it and possibly wasting a bunch of credits on something with 0% chance of success.

Have you done the BPP and SDM Key re-learns?
    That might fix the issue
    2009 Maverick Silver G8 GXP M6 - 586hp
    Engine Mods: TVS 2300 Magnacharger ARH 1 7/8" long tubes with catted x-pipe
    Drivetrain Mods: Ram Dual Disc Clutch
    Suspension Mods: Pedders/Wretched basic drag pack - BMR trailing arms
    Misc Mods: Jamesbiz Catch can - GRRRR8 Heater hose relo kit

Tuner in Training
    Hey Radrace19, thanks for the reply. So far, we've been unable to perform BPP calibration, the scanner hangs up on "procedure in progress" and goes nowhere

Tuner in Training
    hi there nate just wondering how you are getting on with this
    I have the same hurdles to jump in a swap on a Camaro I'm doing

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    hi there nate just wondering how you are getting on with this
    I have the same hurdles to jump in a swap on a Camaro I'm doing
    Took a bit of doing but got it all sorted in the end. Flashed the ECM with a holden M6 tune with my engine params copied over got the engine more or less sorted though we had to fiddle with some of the fall of values to get the accelerator lift off to smooth out. The biggest hurdle was with the brakes. Conventional wisdom was that you could replace the A6 pedal assembly in the G8 with a Camaro M6 assembly but that was not working for us. Bolts up fine but the pedal position sensor seems to have a slightly different range of motion to what the G8 expects so it was unable to complete a relearn (the volt ranges generally looked ok according to the diagnostic procedures... but the ebcm was never happy with it). Once we finally got that sorted the rest was pretty much ok. Had to bypass the solenoid that locks the key in the barrel unless you're in park but the rest of the systems after the ecm flash seem to be ok with not seeing the tcm, they aren't throwing codes. Also had to change the security settings to not wait for the car to be in park to unlock the doors, just changed it unlock when the key is pulled instead. The DIC doesn't quite understand the manual gear selection info, so you see it show R when in reverse but it doesn't show the gear numbers when forward gears selected. Reverse lockout works, no skip shift and reverse lights work. We swapped the entire harness with a 09.5 one (car was an 09.0 model) and added the manual manual trans harness so reverse lights work correctly also.

Some of the issues we faced are I believe specific G8 issues and the brake thing was a real pain but solved in the end by going back to the native G8 part but if there is anything specific you're hitting up against let me know and I'll see if there is anything vaguely useful I can suggest. Best of luck with it!

cheers
    N

nate ,looking to do the same with my g8gt and just found this post ,,but will a file from a gxp be a better fit also any info you ca add would be great
    I looking to swap a tr6060 transmission into my g8gt ,it has the A6 6l80e trans ,, so my question is can I go into the existing engine file and just change it to manual transmission and re flash or do I have to load a engine file from a file that had a manual transmission to start with ?and of coarse I would have to jump the data pins and ground the neutral safety switch wire to start the motor at the transmission plug pigtail ,,, any direction on this would be great ,, thanks gmonde

I can't answer most of your questions but just switching the trans type to manual will not work.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.