Thread: rpm limit 4850 rpm? LBZ under load

Tuner in Training

rpm limit 4850 rpm? LBZ under load

rpm limit 4850 rpm? LBZ under load
    Working on rail car i think i found the rpm limit for the lbz. i data logged it with efi live. the mm3 does not drop . i put a lab scope on the injector and the peak to peak amperage drops out at 4850 rpm... it will fuel higher at light load. but under heavy load the ecm drops out amperage of injection. . no load it fuels to 5500rpm.
    when the fuel is cut it pops at about 5000 rpm. compensated with converter and shift points to only hit this rpm at end of track. it is running 4.81 in 1/8 mile. i have tryed efi and hp tuners to figure out issue. i think it might be a hardware thing in the lbz ecm. or some memory address that no one has found yet. not sure. would like to fuel to over 6000rpm . i may go to a standalone down the road. but figure try to make stock ecm work. if all possible.lol.

Advanced Tuner RandomEnthusiast's Avatar
    Sounds like the injector driver is running out of juice. And I hope that engine is built really good for that rpm.

Tuner in Training
    motor can take it. but i agree with the injector driver running out of juice. I put a lab scope on the injector and the voltage peak drops up high down to 14volts where normally it is 48volts. Time for a standalone to spin faster. It is a rail car so we run out of gear at end of track. Not really hurting time but would be nice to pickup a couple more mile per hour.

Advanced Tuner RandomEnthusiast's Avatar
    I've had the issue on my tbi truck. It'll run out to 5500 and start breaking up. I put a waveform multimeter on it and recorded it and it couldn't switch fast enough causing injectors to miss cycles. You could use a capacitor to beef it up maybe. But I don't think you feel like doing board level mods.

I know BOSCH Motorsports makes a system that can power the injectors past 5k. Since EFILive only has fueling for up to 4800. I have some info on it somewhere I just need to find it. I was talking to someone at ppe when I was down there about it and saw some info on it. Ill look for it.

EDIT: http://www.bosch-motorsport.de/en/de...v_1_619809.php
    Last edited by McFoo; 04-18-2016 at 02:59 PM.
    SOCAL DIESEL TRUCKS
    WWW.SOCALDIESELTRUCKS.COM
    MCFOO RACING
    WWW.MCFOORACING.COM

"This is temporary, unless it works"

-"Black Betty" 2006 GMC LBZ CCSB
    McFoo Racing "Ludicrous Speed" Efi Live
    Inglewood Transmission
    PPE Lift Pump (Pump #2)
    Died ~ 08/17/2015
    ReBorn ~ 10/17/2015

Thanks to all that helped me