Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MAF calibration questions.....

so describe to me why you need an excel sheet
    ..in as full fo detail as possible..and post the sheet you use...

would love to see it

plus I might be able to tell you exactly how to do the same thing in the histograms
    -Scott -

Look at the graph in the attached file. It is an X Y plot of average (band 1 & 2 averaged) LTFTs vs MAF g/sec. Looking at this graph, I can see that I want to add a couple of percent to my MAF calibration at the low end, and subtract some a little higher. I can change the range of my X axis, or stretch the plot over several screens, to really zoom in on an area of interest.

This isn't to say that I might not "see the light" and find a way to do this in the histogram function. However, by the very definition of a histogram plot, data is lumped together into bins of similar data for at least one dimension. Having two dimensions to create the bins in 2.0 is very nice, and the resolution of the data in the cells is fine. But some resolution is lost when defining how to lump data together. Maybe it isn't needed, and probably more likely, I just got used to looking at this data one way, when in all likelihood, it is just as useful, and most likely easier, to use the histogram.

Quote Originally Posted by soundengineer
    saying that there is a resolution limitation is telling me you just dont quite understand the power of the 2.0 histograms...
    Thanks soundengineer and WS6, I too did not know the power of the histograms. I came across this thread just browsing and ended up learning a lot about histograms. Previously I was exporting data to excel, massaging data to find what my FTs were at different frequencies and SWAGing a change. Using soundengineer's config and MAF - STFT histogram, that is all done for me. I still am intimidated by creating my own histograms but there are many posted for various situations all the time.

Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

once you get used to the histograms, you will see what you are missing these guys have some great things they setup
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Soundengineer - thanks a ton for opening my eyes with the histogram files you emailed me. I think I am going to tweak your MAF Air Flow - LTFT histogram by adding rows for FTCs. Your examples do help show various ways of leveraging the power of the histograms for what I was using Excel for.

and you wont spend so much time Alt-tabbing back and forth..LOL

and I take it that you like what I built for you
    -Scott -

Tuner
    Anybody have a config file for tuning MAF via wideband?

EDIT: Nevermind, it's already there.
    Last edited by TSDuke; 08-24-2006 at 08:36 AM.
    '00 Corvette FRC

HPTuners, AEM WB, PP&C Stg 3 Heads, PRC Gold, G5X3 114, LS6 Intake, Trick Flow 7.4 PRs, SVO 30#, LS2 Chain, 160* Stat, BPP Vortex Rammer, Dynatech Supermaxx L/Ts, B&B Bullets, Magnecor, NGK, B&M 45044, R-D Racing Cross Bar, Z06 Clutch Assembly, DRM Brake Ducts, Goodridge SS Lines, Speedbleeders. . . .Black Z06 Motorsports

Advanced Tuner
    Why can I not open the attachments that soundengineer put up for MAF tuning? It says unable to parse log? Am I being stupid here?

04 Sierra Denali,370,S485B, Built 4L80E, 3barOLSD, E85

you might need to be using a later version of HPT...
    what build are you currently using??
    -Scott -

Advanced Tuner
    Um the new one. 2.1.12 or I forget exactly 2.1 something haha

04 Sierra Denali,370,S485B, Built 4L80E, 3barOLSD, E85

just do a multiply by %-half...rinse lather repeat... and do it till the trims fall where you want them to...
    I guess I don't understand this statement. Could you give me an example?

Thanks.
    Pewter 2000 SS A4
    T-Rex Cam (242/248), Hooker LT's, 3" X-pipe Duals, Fast 90, NW 90mm TB, Yank PT4800, 4.30 gear, etc....
    Black 08 C6 A6 Z51
    Mostly stock

Tuner in Training
    you might need to be using a later version of HPT...
    what build are you currently using??
    I can't open the log config either. Would really like to see it. I'm getting the same message.

Ryan

This is the config file I use for maf tuning. Just add your brand of wideband. I use the FJO Racing wideband.

Russ Kemp

Tuner in Training
    Russ: Really appreciate it .

Tuner in Training
    Can someone explain why to use the MAF vs. STFT ?

If my LTFT's are -4 and my STFT's are +3

do i just copy the LTFT's and paste them into my MAF table and multiply and ignore the STFT's?

thanks

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by WicketMike
    Can someone explain why to use the MAF vs. STFT ?

If my LTFT's are -4 and my STFT's are +3

do i just copy the LTFT's and paste them into my MAF table and multiply and ignore the STFT's?

thanks
    If your LTFTs are -4, your motor is generally seeing a rich condition, and the VCM is trying to lean it out. However, there might be a cell where the car runs lean, and the VCM "instinctively" tries to richen it up. Your STFT aren't really anything - they are always changing - very dynamic. The LTFTs are (more or less) an average of STFTs.

Try not to think MAF vs. VE...there is only frustration .

First off, you need a wideband. After you get it all hooked up, you need to flash the VCM with a tune that diables open and closed loop. You do not want the PCM to "think." You only want it to tell the engine how to run. Your wideband will tell you how close the MAF is.

The reason you are turning off the LTFTs is because you do not want the computer correcting itself. You are trying to set the VCM to as close as possible (erring on the rich, or "negartive" side). Once you get it close (-4 to zero in the % Error MAF vs. AFR) you turn the LTFTs (aka closed loop) back on.

The goal is to get the computer to run slightly rich in order that you can tune WOT effectively.

There is alot of good info on this site. Keep searching and searching. Make small changes and search some more. You will get there.

FWIW, I got my car pretty much dialed in as far as MAF and VE (I tuned VE then went to MAF after trying different ways). I went to the track and the car was right around 12.3-12.5. I noticed no difference in the factory tune. I'm leaning the car more up top (commanding 13.2 AFR) and will hopefully see a little gain at the track.

Good luck.
    Ryan

Tuner in Training
    I run the car in OLSD 2 bar (98 turbo LS1)

but smog is due and i need to make sure that no codes come on (maf,air etc).

The car is already tuned with the VE table.
    Now i just need to tune the maf table.

How would you tune the maf table with a wideband if it always corrects itself to 14.6 anyways? isnt this why you have to use the LTFTS? i have a wideband hooked up to it also

Tuner in Training
    I'm trying to mess with my MAF as well, but none of those config files are doing the trick. Attached is what I see in tables 3 through 8. Is something wrong with my HPT? I have version 2.1.12.

Also, I've tried adding my own histograms in the past, and NONE of them have ever worked. Always the same crap.

edit: nevermind, I found and saw this thread: How do you tune the MAF when "MAF Airflow vs. Output Freq." isn't supported ??
    Last edited by gi8e7oi825; 10-01-2006 at 01:16 PM.