Thread: Help with the Boost Control in a Ford Expedition

Potential Tuner

Help with the Boost Control in a Ford Expedition

Hi,

I have a Ford Expedition 2016 V6 Ecoboost 3.5L. I want to add more boost, in my understanding I should modify the Desired TIP (Throttle Inlet Pressure), but in my maps it appears that this system is disabled. Anyone knows if I should modify there or in another place to get more boost.

Thank,

I add an image of what are my options

Capture.PNG

Advanced Tuner
    there are those in the know but they are very vague in explanation. probably right for doing that but its frustrating. ill post back here if i find any good usable info

Senior Tuner
    From what I can gather start by changing the y axis of the torque calculation tables to loads that you want the engine to achieve. so maybe start small and change the 1.3 to 1.4 and the 1.6 to 1.7 ect. There is a spread sheet in a thread about tuning out surging that you can use to get a base line for the torque inverse tables. From there if your vehicle can log mapped points you can increase your wheel torque max value so that you can use the Engine Indicated TQ Reference and air load in the scanner to properly calibrate your torque inverse tables. set it up RPM vs indicated TQ reference and populate a table of airload for each mapped point. Apply the new load values replacing the old values to the inverse tables.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by murfie View Post
    From what I can gather start by changing the y axis of the torque calculation tables to loads that you want the engine to achieve. so maybe start small and change the 1.3 to 1.4 and the 1.6 to 1.7 ect. There is a spread sheet in a thread about tuning out surging that you can use to get a base line for the torque inverse tables. From there if your vehicle can log mapped points you can increase your wheel torque max value so that you can use the Engine Indicated TQ Reference and air load in the scanner to properly calibrate your torque inverse tables. set it up RPM vs indicated TQ reference and populate a table of airload for each mapped point. Apply the new load values replacing the old values to the inverse tables.

Thanks for the info, do you know how can I activate the option to map on the scanner the Engine Indicated TQ Reference, because I only find the option to read if the torque demanded is demanded by the pedal or que transmission (up and down shifting). And to state it clear, I should modify both tables for torque calculations, the inverse and the normal one?

Senior Tuner
    Make sure you have downloaded the latest 3.0 software. If that's still the case then just rely on the spreadsheet and email support to see if they can add it for you.

Yes both tables should be modified to reflect higher loads demanded from less torque. The modifying inverse tables keeps the system happy. This should raise the boost level until you hit a boost limit table. From there you need to find the limiting table and raise it if you want more boost.

It's all in the load/torque/torque inverse and driver demand areas.

Getting the boost up on these is tricky, but once you figure it out it's not difficult.

That box you speak of for desired TIP is disabled in the stock tune for a reason, it's essentially for a type of test mode and targets a set desired TIP, and is not the proper way to raise boost. Also, playing with the wastegate output controls is not the proper way either.

See the thread here that I had started when I was in the same position with my '15 F150. Poke at it slowly, you will find the key. I had help with mine, and out of respect for the tuner will not divulge his work by posting anything from my tune, but have given the best clues I can in that thread.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...coBoost-Advice
    '17 Whipple'd S550
    Too many other projects to list.....see my YouTube channel for more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr7...-XfDG53sCh6tcw

Advanced Tuner
    which load table table do you speak of sir? or did you mean load vs rpm torque table?