Thread: LS2 Knock sensor sensitivity driving me crazy

Tuner in Training

LS2 Knock sensor sensitivity driving me crazy

Ive been chasing my tail with what I believe to be false knock. Here is the story.

My car was professionally tuned at about 23-24 degrees on the dyno in march at about 12.6 AFR. Definitely in the safe range.

Mods are LS2 with PRC 66CC Heads, Ls7 cam, LS7 Exhaust, Ls3 Intake Vararam.

I have recently started doing my tuning, I am a novice but I noticed that I was getting knock so Thanks to the help of everyone on the forum I have been able to reduce timing and add fuel.

I also over the weekend switched to a TR6 plug. The car was tuned originally with a TR5

I have taken about 2 degrees of timing out everywhere, and 3-4 around peak torque since then and have changed to a 12.3 AFR

I still get these little blips of knock. It will knock 1 degree and then slowly go back down to 0 or sometimes its only a blip of .4 or so knock. This has happened no matter how much fuel I add or timing I take away.

If I was to slightly desensitize the knock sensors, how would I go about doing that in HP tuners 3.0? I've looked all over and cant seem to find where it would be. If I make any change at all, I want it to be very small to make sure I can still see actual knock if it happens.

I have attached my first tune and also my most recent one along with a log. What do I do guys? I hate taking so much timing away.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Not that this answers your question but I'd stop pulling your hair out over ~1 degree of knock. I know some people don't like that answer but it to me it's not something that will grenade that motor.

You could also log burst knock and see if that is pulling timing, your base vs cylair delta table still looks stock. You can lower those numbers and the decay rate table you can raise slightly.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Could you tell me where to find the decay rate table? and the other one you mentioned? Ive looked all over.

Engine > spark > retard.

Both are in there, you must be in advanced view under the edit > view tab to see everything.

I'm know expert in tuning that for sure but I know these GEN 4 computer have over sensative knock sensor settings and so much predicted knock built into them. On the truck computers like mine it's pretty crazy. I barely doing any adjusting to them but the little I do, helps so much is reducing random knock events.
    Last edited by 5FDP; 05-29-2016 at 11:00 PM.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Ok awesome, and once im in there, do i increase the values or decrease? And by how much? to make a small adjustment

Burst knock (base vs cylinder delta) I cut in half, some people just remove it all.

And the decay rate I just take everything from 2,000 rpm down to 8,000 rpm and just double it. If you look at the numbers when you times them by 2 the change is still really small.

Tuner in Training
    Awesome. Just did it, anything else while im in there?

I'd ignore the ~1* blips too, for whatever that is worth. I still get them occasionally. Never have figured out why.
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Tuner in Training
    Ever since I made the adjustments you guys suggested its been way better. Ive still caught knock a few times when ive tried to add more timing and lean out farther than it likes. No more random blips of timing though but I know that the adjustment to knock I did make wasnt too far cause I was still getting knock in the same places when I tried to push it too far.