Thread: 05 Silverado Towing Tune Project

Tuner in Training

05 Silverado Towing Tune Project

Hello folks, Brand new to computer tuning and will be needing some help for sure. I purchased the software and email tuning package from a highly recommended GM tuner. (am I allowed to mention their name?) At this time I'm wait for the cable and reading as much as my brain can absorb. The truck is basically stock with, K&N filter in the stock high cap air box, Airaid MIT tube, 160 thermostat (not yet installed) and the corvette servo. The truck is used mostly for towing our 4500lb camper, or road trips with a few hundred pounds of kayaks and camping gear. And so begins the quest for the balance of USABLE power and economy. I have the 3.42 gears, (I Know) may swap to 3.73 later. Also researching for low rpm torque cam and exhaust system, possibly head work, thus the need for future tuning. Right now the debate is starting with 89 or 93 octane fuel. Anyone have any ideas or comments that may help me along? Thanks

Depending on what sort of upgrades you make will kinda determine the fuel you can run, you might be just fine with 89 octane but hard to say.

What cylinder heads are on the truck now?? Certain heads do not need any upgrading or work done at all, they already flow so well. Also I feel the 160 thermostat is un-needed, there will be no gain from running that cool. I never see any problems with running the stock 190-195 degree thermostat, even many turbo guys still run it because it isn't a issue.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    I'm so sorry....Didn't mention the important stuff. This would be the 5.3 L33 HO engine. think it would benefit from the mildly higher compression?

The L33 already has flat top pistons and the better flowing heads, I wouldn't increase the compression further. It's already higher compression than the LM7.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    yes it does, and from what I understand any porting work will hurt the lower end torque. a slight shave on the heads, run 93 octane and roll the distributor back a few degree's...if I can just find it on this truck

There is no distributor. This has modern fuel injection and coil packs for each cylinder.

All spark and fueling changes are made via a tuning software.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    There is no distributor.
    All spark and fueling changes are made via a tuning software.

LMAO....That was my attempt at humor... kind of like how do you change diesel spark plugs..
    I know how to tune with tools, its this converting to using a keyboard that has me
    A lot of reading has helped some...
    Thanks for putting up with me.

Tuner in Training
    YAA-HOO Its here....Got my stock tune saved and sent, data log my drive to work, and pull some TM out of it for the ride home and see how it feels.

You might want to adjust the P/E tables.Lower the RPM delay to around 1200-1500.Change the ramp to 3 or 4.Reset the Throttle pedal lower to 50-70%,after 1200 rpm or so.Reset the MAP to 85kpa. These changes and a couple degrees of timing will wake it up.Check for knock retard and use timed runs to determine if the timing changes are helping or hurting. Remember that every engine is different.These changes worked great when I had my L33.

Tuner in Training
    I hooked up the scanner for the ride to work, even got on it harder than I normally do a few times....for some reason I cant open the saved datalog ....But did notice the KR graff go red a couple times.
    And my AIT topped out at 110 when it was 92 out after a 20 minute ride.
    Thanks for the Info Mr wax.

Tuner in Training
    Well I have figured how to save and replay the files. Noticed an increased flat feel about Half throttle cruising and louder after adding the Airaid MIT.
    Sure enough its the knock retard kicking in. I'll see how the tune affects it when I get in back....
    Last edited by yetavon; 06-08-2016 at 11:35 PM.

I had problems with my CAI kit.It raised the IAT,causing knock.I insulated the tube with header wrap and sealed the CAI from underhood air.I think the best idea is to use the factory air box with a K/N or similar filter.On your truck you can remove the rubber seal between the fender and the air box,just verify the IATs are not high.You can also adjust the timing based on IAT.Either way you need to correct the knock (lower timing/better fuel).Check the knock histogram and lower the timing in the cells that show knock.There are a few good threads on here about timing/knock.They are worth reading.

Tuner in Training
    Well the tune is in and WOW what a difference. Just a short 1/2 mile spin impressed me. Looking forward to getting off work in the morning.
    Definitely missing the flat spot from before....
    I'm not running a CAI kit, just the Airaid tube and K&N filter. may wrap the tube and factory box just to see. The tune is for 89 fuel.
    A big THANK YOU to PCM of NC....

Tuner in Training
    Well after some data logging and Them doing some fine tuning, I'm looking forward to hitting the road Thursday with the camping load.
    A friend that's drove my truck a few times took it for a spin and now wants me to work on his Express.