Thread: WOT Boost Multiplier Vs WOT Boost Adder

Tuner

WOT Boost Multiplier Vs WOT Boost Adder

These are HP's descriptions on what they are

[ECM] 10061 - Turbo Overboost Multiplier: This is the overall transient overboost wastegate DC multiplier for closed loop boost control, based on Engine Speed and Time at WOT.

[ECM] 10070 - Turbo Overboost Adder: This is the overall transient overboost wastegate DC adder for closed loop boost control, based on Engine Speed and Time at WOT.

Are these description's correct?
    If the ecu was operating in closed loop boost control, shouldn't we be looking for an increase in "Desired boost" if we were trying to increase boost pressure over time?
    If so should one of the tables actually be targeted at the "Desired Boost" rather than Wastegate Duty Cycle?

If their descriptions are correct, wouldn't "Desired Boost" override what these tables are trying to do? and how would an adder and a multiplier work together?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thanks for your help
    Mark H.

Senior Tuner
    You need to post the make/model/ECU type of vehicle you are working on. These tables and descriptions are not likely used in many vehicles so it would be difficult for anyone to answer your question based on the current information.

Better yet would be to post a file.
    Jaime

Indeed. And putting the question in the section that particular vehicle falls into would probably yield more results. This section is really more for questions about how to use VCM Editor

Tuner
    It's an Australian Ford XR6 Turbo, I posted here as it was a question re Editor itself not the car, I don't know how to attach a file sorry
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thanks for your help
    Mark H.

Tuner
    no response to my ticket, no response to my post, I'm assuming HP do not know?
    Thanks for your help
    Mark H.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Huddo View Post
    If the ecu was operating in closed loop boost control, shouldn't we be looking for an increase in "Desired boost" if we were trying to increase boost pressure over time?
    If so should one of the tables actually be targeted at the "Desired Boost" rather than Wastegate Duty Cycle?

If their descriptions are correct, wouldn't "Desired Boost" override what these tables are trying to do?
    Boost is arbitrary and dependent on several factors. The duty cycle corresponds to the WG solenoids characteristics. It's up to the calibrator to determine what DC equals what boost.

Quote Originally Posted by Huddo View Post
    and how would an adder and a multiplier work together?
    Example: (1.5 psi + 1.5 (adder)) * 2.5(multiplier) = 7.5 psi (final value after adders and multipliers)

Of course these numbers are arbitrary, but I hope you get the idea.
    Jaime

Tuner
    the car is running in closed loop boost control, adding to the "wastegate duty cycle" is going to be corrected according to "boost error" and what the "desired boost" is targeting, as it's always using the desired as the target, unless it can't achieve it then it will go into a protection mode and cause a code.

If the car was running in open loop boost control, I agree with what you have posted and thanks for the clarification of adder and multiplier
    Thanks for your help
    Mark H.