Thread: Controlling Spark

Controlling Spark

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T 5.7 Auto 5
    Mods - 392 intake, PnP heads, cam, long tube headers and 3" exhaust

I have good flow and no knock so I've been bumping up the spark. It seems I have hit a wall and something is preventing it from going any higher so I'm trying to understand what tables the spark follows.

Starting at the WOT base, what else comes into play?

I see there is a thermal parameter for exhaust overtemp conditions - took that out of play
    I assume it looks at the conditions for Hot and Cold spark (ECT) - my hot spark ref is 248* and that table does have a -1 in the areas where it won't go up any further but I'm only off .5 in some places and 1.5 at the top.
    I assume it looks at the conditions for Barometer and references the Baro table. I have the bottom rows zero'd out so I don't believe that is the problem.
    IAT spark is all 0's so that's not it.
    MBT spark is the same as WOT spark so that shouldn't be the problem
    Min and Max Spark state they are since start and the WOT runs are maybe 15 min after start so I didn't believe they were related.

Any tips on the conditional flow?
    2013 Dodge Challenger RT Plus - Shaker

Senior Tuner
    Usually I keep MBT a few degrees ABOVE WOT table, in factory tune MBT is well above WOT table.

Quote Originally Posted by 06300CSRT8 View Post
    Usually I keep MBT a few degrees ABOVE WOT table, in factory tune MBT is well above WOT table.
    I figured out what my problem was. I had my table set up with MAP instead of Aircharge. My spark was following 3 rows up. ;-) I set up a spark table on the scanner with RPM/Aircharge and poof.. makes sense now. Also, I took your input on rescaling and I really like it. However, I set my peak spark out at the last column and expected to see that #. Well it's not going to get to that number. Example: 19* at 6300. It's going to be at 18.5 up to that 6300 shift point and then shift. lol
    2013 Dodge Challenger RT Plus - Shaker

Senior Tuner
    Yes that makes sense, itll only hit that target at that specific RPM, before itll always be interpolating from that point down to the previous RPM set point.

Advanced Tuner
    19* huh? im getting up to 30*, if i lower it i loose my torque! im getting kr but its the same as IAT<hot spark so im thing the kr are just because of intake air temp? whats the dangers in removing the negative timing in the IAT hot spark to 0?
    By the prickle of my thumb something wicked this way comes!2008 Chrysler 300c! 2013 heads/220/230 comp cam/LTheaders/FTI 2600 stall converter.

Advanced Tuner
    question, if it were the IAT <hot spark, would it register as a kr?
    By the prickle of my thumb something wicked this way comes!2008 Chrysler 300c! 2013 heads/220/230 comp cam/LTheaders/FTI 2600 stall converter.