Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 97 tahoe vortec 5.7 stock now 383

Potential Tuner

97 tahoe vortec 5.7 stock now 383

97 vortec 350 with a different crank and cam #08-417-8 duration @.050 int 218 exh 224 around 500 lift - headers also
    issue is a flat spot off idle if you step into it ? converter ? i also have questions about setting up the pe tables and ve tables . where should i start ?

Senior Tuner
    Unless something has changed HP Tuners never supported the 96-97 black box PCMs.

Potential Tuner
    sorry 98 '

Do you have a wideband? If you are wanting to tune your VE table I wouldn't worry about the flat spot off idle.

Once you have your fueling matching commanded good chance it won't be a problem anymore.

One thing you can do without a wideband is get rid of the PE delay, and make sure PE EQ is set to something like 1.136 (12.5 afr if you have 14.2 for stoich)
    1999 s10 blazer trailblazer edition nv3500 swap
    2006 GMC ccsb 4x4 duramax/allison

Advanced Tuner
    Put a 411 ecm in it. Search black box to 411 pcm on youtube or google. Tuning will be ALOT easier than that funky black box that errors a lot.
    Thanks,

Dustin

Advanced Tuner
    As stated above 411 pcm swap is the way to go. I basically daily drive my 97 silverado 5.7 vortec 5 speed, 411 swapped truck and its hands down the best mod iv'e done to the truck. Cruise over to gmt400.com , register there and pm (lextech) he hooks everyone up with the pinout sheets to complete the swap easily without headache or aggravation. As for the tuning side of it its a little different than tuning a gen 3 ls application but most general logic's apply. As a machinist i once knew said parts is parts.

Advanced Tuner
    That's also great info, as lextech is the source for all blackbox to 411 swap info. I cannot post his spreadsheets (out of respect), but if you email him, im sure he can dial you up a spreadsheet. He is also on these forums if you would like to PM him.
    Thanks,

Dustin

Advanced Tuner
    Attachment 61116

Just got done doing a 411 swap today. Also made a little youtube video of it. Don't want to post the link. Im sure you could find it by searching or PM me for the link.
    Thanks,

Dustin

Quote Originally Posted by teachout11 View Post
    97 vortec 350 with a different crank and cam #08-417-8 duration @.050 int 218 exh 224 around 500 lift - headers also
    issue is a flat spot off idle if you step into it ? converter ? i also have questions about setting up the pe tables and ve tables . where should i start ?
    Send me your file I will make the changes needed to correct the flat spot.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by teachout11 View Post
    sorry 98 '
    Hello new here. just so I am clear you can tune the 98 PCM "black Box" with the HP tuner. I keep getting told NO every tuner shop I call.

Advanced Tuner
    HP tuners does work with the 98-2000 black box pcm's. But the pcm itself is kinda limited from what i hear, tunercats also works with the black box pcm's. No experience with them either. Best route imo would be the 411 swap, iv'e done it and couldnt be happier. And fairly easy platform to tune on from my experience. Just Google (411 pcm swap silverado) or somthing similar and you'll find tons of info. Also a few posts up i give out more info on retrieving the correct pinout information for the swap.

Swapping to 411 ecm is all fine and dandy till you run into issues like state inspections. Most people make mods to their motors and then realize it needs tuning and generally don't have to money to pay to have the swap done. Either way you will need a software like Cats for tuning 96-97 and vin issues. So there is a need for black box tuning.

Advanced Tuner
    I didn't intend to insinuate the black box isnt worth keeping in the vehicle. But from a tuning standpoint its much more limited processing speed and lack of support just makes it sensible to swap to the 411 pcm. iv'e had my truck inspected twice after the 411 swap no issues, but my vin isn't corrected either so there is possibility of problems in the future i guess. I turn all my own wrenches and then some so swapping was free of labor for me and honestly a very simple task to complete. OP sorry we hijacked your thread with a pcm swap debate Ill leave it be from here on out, ive stated my personal opinions.

Advanced Tuner
    I can put whatever vin in it you want. Then you will have to use 3.xx to license the new pcm/vin combo. That's the solution to inspections. Matching vin to vehicle, and all the status monitors enabled, shouldn't be a problem for inspection. Your always allowed to upgrade, not downgrade.. I live in California. Worst smog state laws around in my opinion. Got a 96 with a 411 headed to the smog shop as soon as we dial in the tune. I bet you, the guy wont even know the computers been swapped.
    Thanks,

Dustin

Quote Originally Posted by Asylumwarp View Post
    I can put whatever vin in it you want. Then you will have to use 3.xx to license the new pcm/vin combo. That's the solution to inspections. Matching vin to vehicle, and all the status monitors enabled, shouldn't be a problem for inspection. Your always allowed to upgrade, not downgrade.. I live in California. Worst smog state laws around in my opinion. Got a 96 with a 411 headed to the smog shop as soon as we dial in the tune. I bet you, the guy wont even know the computers been swapped.
    You inspector may be smarter than you. Lol. We have been changing Vin for years now. When you tune for a living it's best to use all options using a 411 is a option so was tuning your 96 black box. I had a badge wearing customer just the other day with 383 and he wanted his emission intact. I gave what he wanted. The person who owns this tread wants to tune his black box and that is what he is asking. It kind of like pleasing a woman you either have too much or not enough lol. Good luck with your emissions inspection.

Advanced Tuner
    The 1996-97 is NOT an option on HP TUNERS. a 411 pcm swap is TUNABLE via hp tuners. He said 98, but if the pcm is the older one, its not do-able by hp tuners. We are on a HP tuners forum. I don't own that vehicle I did the swap in. I only did the swap/tune. And I guarantee all the smog stuff is intact, and with the 411 controlling it all. So it will pass emissions. We are allowed to put newer equipment into cars without issues. Being in this business, I can say that I know quite a few inspectors, and have talked for hours with them, and know they aint the brightest. They know what to check, and that's about all. Put a nice cover over the 411, they wont even know its there. It just needs to match ID #'s, Monitors, and equipment. Done deal. Ill snap a pic of the completed smog as soon as its done. Anyone in cali with this problem, can be solved. I cant speak for you in texas, so ......

With the mods he listed, tuning any black box pcm isn't the best option. Hard coded 5800 RPM rev limit to start naming a few.. Bad writes, Bricked pcms..
    I'll step away and let the black box tuning continue, as I was just offering advice. If you brick your pcm during a rewrite, upgrade.
    Last edited by Asylumwarp; 07-21-2016 at 11:38 AM.
    Thanks,

Dustin

You win lol thanks for stepping away...

Advanced Tuner
    nobody won anything the OP probably hasn't even come back to check his thread since a small pcm swap war started. on the texas inspection subject im an inspector for the state of texas and i can assure you that if the monitors are ready the vin is the same and it has a cat in the exhaust somewhere with all the lights working its probably gonna pass inspection. now thats only a couple items on the list i wont get into the nitty gritty and since this seems to be a competition, i would say we all lost since the OP hasn't posted in his own thread in days. we can all simmer down since we all lost HA!!

Advanced Tuner
    Ah, its just people on forums who think they know everything. Happens daily... Heck, with road in such defense of the old junk, maybe he is stuck still tuning black box ecms... LOL
    Thanks,

Dustin

Quote Originally Posted by Asylumwarp View Post
    Ah, its just people on forums who think they know everything. Happens daily... Heck, with road in such defense of the old junk, maybe he is stuck still tuning black box ecms... LOL
    I am not defending the black boxes. I just tune a lot of them. People still wants them tuned that why I tune them. I never claimed to know everything you did! I never pointed fingers either or singled your name out. I was just offering him support for his black box. Then you came along and had all the answers....