Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weirdness in upper RPM range

Tuner

Weirdness in upper RPM range

Hello everyone. I'm working on getting my wife's 2006 GTO tuned, and it's been giving me a fair amount of grief. I've been doing a lot of reading on here with things such as EOIT and dealing with low speed stumbling issues as I didn't want to actually post up unless I felt I had to. Let's start with the car; it's a 2006 GTO M6.

LS3 swap
    GM CNC'd LS3 heads
    6.2L Flex fuel injectors (used, came from my Escalade)
    Comp Cams 281LR cam (the cam is installed 3 degrees retarded)
    Cadillac racing lifters
    Lunati dual springs
    Comp 7.400" pushrods
    Kooks 1 3/4" longtubes with catted-y

I am trying to get the VE dialed in. I'm tuning in open loop until I have my trims close. I've tried a couple of the EOIT calcs, which helped a lot with the low end stuff (feels more response from idle to 2500 or so) but it will still start surging in the parking lot (which to be honest I don't care about at the moment) The main problem/concern I have been having is that somewhere about the 4000 RPM area, it will start breaking up/stuttering. WB02 values look good, not seeing any knock. The spark plugs I have in there are for an LS3 (Camaro, I believe) gapped to .034" if I remember correctly. I checked the fuel pressure at the rail, I see ~60 psi. After that, I upgraded the intank fuel pump to a DW300C and replaced the in-tank filter when I did so (it was gross) but saw no perceivable change.) The injectors do have mileage on them, but I'm not sure if that would necessary affect what I am dealing with as they ordinarily work fine, and I'm not seeing knock. I also changed to have 14.1 AFR for stoich instead of 14.7.

As I tend to log on my drive to and from work, and the logs can get long, I've cut out the relevant WOT part and uploaded that in addition to the accompanying tune.

WOT_test_3.hpl
    GTO-New-42.hpt

Let me know your thoughts, and thank you for taking the time to look.

Tuner
    Still playing with this, and noticing a couple of things:

1. Narrowband 02 seems to slowly drop off as the RPM climbs, but not always.
    2. The car seems to go to an EQ of 1 for no reason, at random, which causes KR to show up.

I've turned off burst knock as I've read that can also be a thing.

Will post some log snippets shortly.

Tuning Addict
    What are reading on the eoit??? You've retarded it 20 degrees on the boundary table - advanced it 30 degrees on the ect table "which is OKish, because boundary won't 100% move the soi like the ect table will", but then you retarded it again in the lower rpms via the rpm table then turned around and advanced it back to the stockish form in the higher rpms???

Have you adjusted the O2's any for the headers? Looks like they could use some tweaking possibly?
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner
    Hey there, thank you for looking. I had used an EOIT spreadsheet that I found, and based off of my cam EVC the target EOI was 399.13 degrees. I was messing around with different numbers, and my laptop had been crashing at random (just got a new one) so I think that might have been where that tune file was off because what I posted up is not what I intended. Should my EOIT be 399 straight across the board? The stock one isn't, but I'm not stock.

I just made a new tune file, double-checking the numbers for my injection timing. I've had good luck with the LS9 timing table, which has actually helped with a lot of the bucking that I was having. I will test this new tune on the way in to work.

I've also put back in the stock airbox to see if that made any difference. Aside from seeing 30+ degree higher IATs, I still see the wobble in the MAF signal as the engine picks up RPM, but nowhere near as badly. I was seeing what grew to be a 6+ lb/min oscillation at WOT when above 4000 RPM`.

I've tightened up the 02s switchpoints, I believe you made that recommendation to another user on here so I followed suit. I was trying to get the car to behaving in SD first, so I've kept the car in open loop, disabled the LTFTs. Also, with only B1S1, the time where I accidentally enabled it the car was really pissed that it only had incoming data from the one sensor (other sensor is removed as I have my LM-1 in there.) Will the o2 values matter with the car in OLSD

I still am seeing this oddity where the Commanded EQ goes to 1 in the middle of what should be PE mode. Not sure why that is. I'm attaching the log excerpt from that.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Weird thing is commanded AFR isn't changing, weird.
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Tuner
    Oh wow, you are right. I didn't notice that until you pointed it out. Now I'm even MORE confused.

Do I need to do a Write Entire? Or is this something in the Scanner?

I think it's a scanner oddity personally but I'm not 100% sure of that

Tuner
    Perhaps it has to do with the fact that I'm logging all the things, it's not updating that parameter fast enough. The EQ dropouts are almost always followed by KR.

You gotta speed that wideband up.. it's like 3 updates a second at most in that last log

But yeah I would try removing some of the stuff for your channel list that you aren't using and try lowering the polling rate on some of the stuff that you don't really need to update often (may already be set that way..)

Then turn polling interval way up for commanded AFR/EQ and see what happens
    Last edited by schpenxel; 08-17-2016 at 12:26 PM.

Tuner
    Alright, will do. My reason for slowing it down was to help smooth it out a bit, but I can see why that would be a problem. I was concerned about there being a time sync offset in terms of the WBO2 data being parsed and put into the log as it is passing through the serial inputs, however slowing down my resolution would probably not help that as I think about it further.

By default, AFR commanded shows up as being set at 5 Hz, I changed it to 100 Hz which is apparently the fastest it can go. EQ Commanded is actually coming up as 0ms - fastest, but that choice isn't in the selection box, so I'm going to leave that. This is probably why I'm seeing that difference in the log. Still doesn't explain why it will dump to 1.0 EQ Commanded while under full load, but maybe I'm missing something on the WB due to the low sample rate.

We shall see. Thank you for the help.

As for my Innovate, do I set that for instant instead of 1/3 sec sample rate? I believe the options are 1/3, 1/6, 1/12, and instant.

Change it to the fastest option available instead the 0 msec one. I had some weird issues on mine when a few channels were set like that (not sure how they got set like that?). Not 100% sure it will help but won't hurt.

Tuner
    Will do. Interestingly, O2 voltage B1S1 had a default of 5 Hz. Changed that to 100 Hz. A lot of channels are set for 0 by default.

I can see why I needed to double-check stuff like this. I'm not used to having the degree of granularity to be able to adjust individual channels update rates. Typically it has been you load channels in the scanner and your frames per seconds drop down, and you have to find the balance that works for what you are trying to do.

Yeah, it doesn't truly force it to use those exact rates, but does at least prioritize what you want more/less of

I never spent much time on it but when I had a bunch of channels set to a delay of 0 I kept having problems with scanner freezing, changed them to fastest time and it has been fine ever since.. so that's why I suggested it

Tuner
    I see. I know that this laptop I am using (Lenovo Flex 3) is not really ideal for much more than scanning, and light mods/reflashes. My previous Dell laptop was barfing usually when I got a piece of data that was actually useful in the troubleshooting process. I'm going to use the older way of thinking and be conservative with the data I'm scanning.

And removing the delay on my Innovate. I'm on the fence about pulling the trigger on a better WB02 setup, but not sure what is really good, versus what isn't.

Yeah I'm starting to wonder if they're all a crap shoot honestly..

I used a PLX setup for about a year, no issues with it.. switched to AEM 30-0333 and it seems faster, haven't had any issues with it (yet)

Tuning Addict
    Try these PE settings - yours don't look just right... You might also want to lower the pedal settings to activate PE too...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner
    Thank you, Greg. I've modified my file, will reflash in the AM ride to the office.

I'm attaching a chunk of the latest log (the entire trip home is over an hour, which is why I pruned the log). Like an idiot, I omitted KR from my channels, however, with the resolution cranked up it looks interesting. I dropped the timing a bit based on this mornings numbers. The IPW looks weird to me, as does everything else. Am I looking at a mechanical issue perhaps?

Tuning Addict
    Your going in and out of PE right at 5200rpms, but what's weirder are your air fuel "glimpses" and by this I mean what Carson saw - one second or frame your at a 12.8 or low 13's air fuel ratio, the very next it's saying 11.4 - you may just be overly rich in this area causing some weird problems? Put in the above PE settings and see if it shows it staying in PE... I also recommend getting a different better air fuel gauge - go with the AEM I guess if you can - I just really don't trust the air fuel readings your getting from the innovate - I boxed mine up long ago for this very same reason... I guess it's "possible" your floating valves or something, but shouldn't just do it at 1 rpm area... Think it might just be in the fueling tables as a whole, whether it's the eoit, MAF, VE or PE...

Just my observations...

~Greg Huggins~

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    change your PE to these settings:

MAP 65
    Hyst 4
    rpm 300
    hyst 30

PE throttle 30% across

PE delay 0

fuel tab

injection timing back to stock

all

also run car in open loop as test
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Tuner
    I've updated my PE to reflect those settings. It's not stepping out of PE from what I can tell, so that's a plus. I also pulled some timing out on the top end. I will say the car definitely feels better when I floor it, but it's still acting weird over 5K. No KR on the logs, which is a first. I have Lunati dual springs which are good for .660 lift, and I did the upgraded trunnions on the rocker arms as I have had to play "Find several hundred needle bearings" in a previous build many years ago. It sucked.

Attached latest WOT log and tune file.