Thread: Write Entire? Or Tech2 needed

Tuner in Training

Write Entire? Or Tech2 needed

Did an initial read-out on a friend's ecu the other day. Its an S2000 with a 5.3 swap.

He sourced the ECU from ebay, and after sending the file to HPtuners for confirmation, it is indeed meant for a 4.3 Vortec. Its a '411' VCM if that makes a difference.

Obviously I need to make the ecu work on his car, and would rather not burn 2 credits for nothing. What is the solution here? Do I download an OS that is identical (but for a V8), or do I need to source a Tech2?

Attached is the file for reference.Initialread.hpt

If you have access to a Tech2 then that's a better option. If you donwload a tune for a 5.3L you need 2 credits for the file and another 2 credits to unlock the PCM. If you flash the PCM with tech2 only 2 credits are needed.
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Tuner in Training
    I really hate to ask, but what's the procedure with a Tech2?

Its my dad's and I know it's not an issue to borrow it, but would like to get an idea first. He also has whatever the GM based internet service/pass-through device as well.

Tuner in Training
    So would the procedure for me to do this is find an OS in the repository that allows 3 bar SD, use the VIN to re-flash the ecu with the Tech2.

Then read it out with HPTUNER and license it?

Tuner in Training
    No. By utilizing the tech2 with a GM subscription you would enter in the original vin of vehicle. The tech2 would then pull down the latest stock calibration. That cal will be the one you use. Once done with the tech2, you would then read with HPtuners, buy the credits needed for saving changes or flashing the file back to pcm......... Or license the file you already have. Engine>General>Engine type> 5.3. Gonna have to change alot of stuff though if you go that route.
    05 Excursion 6.0
    14 Silverado 4.3

Tuner in Training
    The impression that I got from Hptuners, was that I had to re-flash the ecu to a V8, as the V6 OS was not usable.

So the short and sweet of it is find a cal in the repository that meets my needs, and use the VIN from that to get what I need from GM.