Thread: Time differential

Tuner in Training

Time differential

I saw the trackmap has a ghostrider option that shows the best lap ride against the current lap with two cursors on the map. Is there an object to show the time differential between the current lap and the best in the data file?

Also is it possible to display each segment time differential. Each segment can be defined by the change in lateral G force: if the value is close to 0 within a threshold (and it was <> 0 before), then we are at the beginning of a straight segment. When the G-force has positive (negative) values we can define the current segment as a right (left) turn. After this calculating the segment time and the difference against the best lap same-segment should be feasible.

This has been requested before and is on the radar (lots of other stuff to do too, though), but there's currently not a time differential feature in RaceRender itself, so it's up to your data system to provide a data channel for that.

Recent versions of TrackAddict include this in their data log, so that's one easy solution... In that case, you can visualize the time differential by adding a new Text Data display and setting it to the "Predicted vs Best Lap" field. Or, visualize the predicted total lap time by creating a new Timer display and set it to the "Predicted Lap Time" field. Both of these predictions are based on the best lap time so far of that same session, so you'll see it have data starting with Lap 2 (which is referenced against Lap 1 to start with, until you complete a faster lap).

Tuner in Training
    I use AIM Solo DL and I'm sure I can produce a new channel with the overall time differential information. However, if I wanted to show each segment differential, which fields and objects should I use?

I'm not sure how AIM's segment time differential works, but if it's like a lap differential where it's just showing the +/- number of seconds for this point in the lap vs the best lap, then the "Text Data" display should work. The "Timer" displays may also work, but generally aren't setup to show negative numbers, so that could look a bit odd (will be improved in the next software update).

Tuner in Training
    What I meant is that the lap segment is a foreign concept in RR. Which RR object can display the current track segment? So I can easily create a field in my data file for the whole lap differential and display it through a text object, but can't do the same for lap segments.

One way to introduce lap segments in RR internally would be to use the lateral acceleration like I described in the original post.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaghetti View Post
    What I meant is that the lap segment is a foreign concept in RR. Which RR object can display the current track segment? So I can easily create a field in my data file for the whole lap differential and display it through a text object, but can't do the same for lap segments.
    RaceRender can accept lap sector/segment data just as it would any other data channel. The issue seems to be just that it doesn't have any special handling around this, or any manual user controls, like it does for full lap timing. If the data file contains a column with sector split numbers in it, then the Text Data display can display that simple number. For a column containing sector split times, the Timer object type should be able to display those values. Likewise, any +/- values may be accommodated by the "Text Data" display or the "Timer" display. The results of all of these would really depend on how this data is being provided in the data file... To show a running sector timer, that data column would need each sample to contain the current sector time at that point. To show completed sector times, then that data column would need each sample to contain the last completed sector time (a shortcut here is that you can usually leave subsequent samples completely blank, and RR will usually duplicate the value from the last populated sample).

Tuner in Training
    I see, one column for the segment number and another column with the logger-calculated segment time differential. I agree, loading RR with segment definition and partials is out of scope.

Potential Tuner
    Spaghetti-

How were you able to export segment numbers from AIM Race Studio into a CSV file? I have not been able to figure this one out.

On a related note - I did write some python code to create time and distance differentials and add them to an AIM Solo DL export (it adds 6 more columns to the .csv). These can be easily displayed in RR. It should be somewhat trivial to extend that functionality to segments (if segment # is in the data).