Thread: o2 sensor?????'s

Advanced Tuner

o2 sensor?????'s

ok i've been reading alot of threads about o2 sensors. i'm reading alot of "not accurate after mods" stuff. does this mean not at all or just not at wot. if not at all then what do we do install wide bands with controllers in to both side and hook those to our ecu or what? if they are not accurate then why have them at all? oh and what about the e85 cars and truck what do they use because the e85 needs a diffrent afr than gas. so do those have diffrent o2 sensors? and what about the holden cars with there lean cruise how can they go into lean cruise if the sensors not accurste for the leaner mixture? i understand that the linearity of the sensor sucks hints the reason the don't work just confused on what we can do about it as far as everyday close loop driveing. do mods and bigger engine not matter during close loop normal driving at 14.7:1 afr. just confused is all. and for the record cause i seen a few get this wrong higher mv's on a narrow band o2 sensor is richer and lower mv's are leaner. as in .001 leanest and 1v richest.
    '04 Tahoe AWD, trickperformance turbo kit, TC78 turbo, 4"magnaflow muffler, Circle D triple disc 3,000, FLT LVL 7 4L60E, L92, 227/235 111lsa.
    Old 5.3=12.33 @110mph
    http://www.streetfire.net/video/turb...mph_741849.htm

Tuner in Training
    what about the holden cars with there lean cruise how can they go into lean cruise if the sensors not accurste for the leaner mixture?
    Lean cruise is open loop so o2 sensors are ignored.

#1: Standard o2 sensors are only accurate for stoch values. Eg: Closed loop operation. If you are in PE, they are simply ignored by the PCM. If you are in DFCO, same as PE. If the Fuel Trim Enable Status bit is set to on, you are using the o2's for fuel control.

#1a: They are very sensitive to heat: Hotter = lower output voltage during rich transitions. They are *not* accurate for WOT tuning- no questions there.

#2: Stoch is stoch to an o2 sensor no matter what the fuel. E85 or otherwise. The PCM needs to know about E85 so it can deliver fuel based on the correct stoch value of the fuel. Even if it had the wrong stoch value, the fuel trims would eventually correct the mixture.

They should be called Lambda sensors as they are only accurate at Lambda = 1.0 (stoch for whatever fuel you are using)

HTH
    EC
    Always Support Our Troops!