Thread: 1999 Trans Am Idle question...

Tuner in Training

1999 Trans Am Idle question...

I had my car professionally tuned and I was curious what Open Loop AFR should be reading... I am around 11.4 until the car goes into Closed Loop. Once in Closed loop the car idles around 14.67 as it should... I understand on initial startup you want it a little rich, but the car runs for at least 3 minutes before Closed Loop gets enabled and it smells like fuel in my garage with the garage door open. Is this normal, or is there something within HP tuners I should adjust to lean out the fuel mixture?

I tried the initial adder ect table but it doesn't work on my ECU apparently? When I changed it HPTuners replied with a message stating this feature will be enabled in the future.

Thanks!

Look under your open loop EQ ratio, that will tell you what it's calling for for fuel as it warms up.

I'd guess that the numbers are something like 1.15 to 1.20 or very similar to that on the lower coolant temp side. You can raise those numbers some if you want and you can have it try and commaned a 1.00 (aka stoich) sooner than it is now.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the response. The EQ table is set to 1.00 all the way down to 32 degrees. 32,50,68 tables are set to 1.00 @ 20kpa,25kpa and 30kpa. I assume manifold pressure isn't higher than that at idle, I will scan to verify.

So looks like it idles around 45kpa. So I will adjust those tables and report back.

Thanks!
    Last edited by alaska_guy; 11-11-2016 at 12:00 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by alaska_guy View Post
    Thanks for the response. The EQ table is set to 1.00 all the way down to 32 degrees. 32,50,68 tables are set to 1.00 @ 20kpa,25kpa and 30kpa. I assume manifold pressure isn't higher than that at idle, I will scan to verify.

So looks like it idles around 45kpa. So I will adjust those tables and report back.

Thanks!
    Changed them to 1.0 and when in Open Loop the car idles around 11.8 now. If I try and move the car into gear before the car gets warm (goes into closed loop) the car will stall... So something still isn't right.

Post the tune and any logs.

Provide any details on the vehicle setup and parts used, it will make it easier to figure out if anything is setup wrong in the tune.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.