Thread: x7f fault

Tuner in Training

x7f fault

I'm getting an X7F Fault when trying to read my 2009 Cobalt SS.

The car was tuned last year by Trifecta by the previous owner. I do not have the Trifecta cable to put the car back to stock and don't have the previous owners information.

I can't upload to my PCM because I don't have my VIN licensed. I can't license my VIN without downloading the tune.

I took the car to the Chevrolet dealer and had them flash me back to stock, hoping that it would erase the Trifecta tune. That appeared to put me back to stock, as i now have a check engine light and the car is much slower. However, i'm still getting the x7f fault when trying to read my PCM.

I have tested my laptop and cable against one of my other vehicles. I was able to download the tune on another vehicle just fine.

here is my question.... if i buy the unlimited 09 cobalt credits, will i be able to upload a new tune without licensing that specific VIN first? (hoping to overwrite the tune that is on there now)

A write entire needs to be done to remove this restriction from the OS. A dealer tool will not help as it recognizes the OS and will only flash the cal. You could do it by licensing a repository file WITH a matching OS segment and write entire but I normally do not recommend this as you never know what kind of changes there might be in the file and the remaining segments may not match. I would try contacting Trifecta first.
    Last edited by Engineer@HPT; 11-27-2016 at 08:07 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer@HPT View Post
    A write entire needs to be done to remove this restriction from the OS. A dealer tool will not help as it recognizes the OS and will only flash the cal. You could do it by licensing a repository file WITH a matching OS segment and write entire but I normally do not recommend this as you never know what kind of changes there might be in the file and the remaining segments may not match. I would try contacting Trifecta first.

I have been in contact with Trifecta. They were less than helpful and I'd rather not spend a dime with them.

I tried licensing a "stock" repository file for my year car. When trying to upload I believe it says VIN mismatch. From reading your post, I think I'm trying to flash only the cal and not the entire OS. How do I find the entire OS file?

Quote Originally Posted by INIVIATE View Post
    I have been in contact with Trifecta. They were less than helpful and I'd rather not spend a dime with them.

I tried licensing a "stock" repository file for my year car. When trying to upload I believe it says VIN mismatch. From reading your post, I think I'm trying to flash only the cal and not the entire OS. How do I find the entire OS file?
    Please take an infolog while connecting to the car (by clicking the I icon in the menu) and e-mail support along with the file you licensed. I will try to help.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer@HPT View Post
    Please take an infolog while connecting to the car (by clicking the I icon in the menu) and e-mail support along with the file you licensed. I will try to help.
    edit: nevermind, found the email address. sending an email with the attached files momentarily.
    Last edited by INIVIATE; 11-28-2016 at 03:52 PM.

[email protected]

Send the requested info there