Thread: New Member!needing a base startup tune for l86/8l90/whipple

New Member!needing a base startup tune for l86/8l90/whipple

Ordered a whipple tuner kit from Maryland speed and I have about a month to get ready to do the tune. I am new to the L92 tuning process but have purchased hpt pro and will continue cramming until the time comes
    To do the tune. It would be very helpful and educational if someone would happen to have safe startup file that I can study? I'd be willing to pay for it at this point!

Cc Denali l86/8L/whipple/kooks w ory/btr blower cam with 38% lobe and lash cap/dod delete/ dedicated breakout harness/afe momentum

Thanks and good to finally be on the forum!

Honestly if you have never tuned a torque based GM SIDI combo you are going to have a very, very steep learning curve. My best recommendation would be to get someone to help you who is familiar with this type of calibration work. You might want to also consider holding off on the camshaft. That is just going to make your learning much more difficult.

Western New York's Performance Headquarters

I totally agree. I'm really expecting to have to hire a tuner to help but it will most likely be remotely. Who would you guys think would put the most attention to detail into a remote tune? I have access to a loading dyno. Also will be running a meth system so that could be the deciding factor. In short I need a tuner to work with me remotely on a tune for my truck whippled with btr blower cam and meth.

Tuning Addict
    You'll be wasting your money on a remote tune... These torque biased ecu's can require a lot of attention to specific cells of specific tables and unless the tuner has the vehicle in their possession this can be very hard to accomplish... Not to mention that unless the tuner has already done "that" exact setup, it's doubtful that it would be able to be quickly done...

Now if you have experience tuning in the past on something like a gen 4 or a SS Cobalt or something like this and you have the tools and time to spend on it, then you might be able to work through it and tune it yourself with some guidance...

I can personally tell you the 8 speed on it's own is going to be a pain - most don't bother to touch it, but again - if you put in the time - it can be a very nice and fun driving vehicle... If you don't touch the tranny - you'll wind up with throttle and timing cut issues, so again - I recommend putting in the time...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Hmm.

I can do this.

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    You'll be wasting your money on a remote tune... These torque biased ecu's can require a lot of attention to specific cells of specific tables and unless the tuner has the vehicle in their possession this can be very hard to accomplish... Not to mention that unless the tuner has already done "that" exact setup, it's doubtful that it would be able to be quickly done...

Now if you have experience tuning in the past on something like a gen 4 or a SS Cobalt or something like this and you have the tools and time to spend on it, then you might be able to work through it and tune it yourself with some guidance...

I can personally tell you the 8 speed on it's own is going to be a pain - most don't bother to touch it, but again - if you put in the time - it can be a very nice and fun driving vehicle... If you don't touch the tranny - you'll wind up with throttle and timing cut issues, so again - I recommend putting in the time...
    Lots of great points here. I consider myself pretty good with SIDI stuff but I wouldn't remote tune that combo. That is a combo I would definitely want on my dyno or I would want to be there. If you had someone that built the exact same combo you could definitely remote tune it because they would already be 95-98% there.

Moving onto your combo just how much boost & power do you plan on making? Not sure I would use the lobe & lash cap combo. Also methanol on PD blower applications isn't as effective as meth on centrifugal supercharger applications. To me if seems like another variable headache

I am looking to make 12psi or so and with the headers I should have to run around a 3.5" pulley to get there. I am also kinda sketchy on using the lobe and lash cap it just seems like it would wear the pump out quicker. I really like the looks of lingenfelters big bore hpfp. I wonder if it would supply enough fuel for my goals (~650 at the wheels)

I am not opposed to traveling to a good tuner either. I'm in north east Arkansas. Anyone close?

NE Arkansas!!???? I'm very close to that area...
    LT4 pump and injectors can get you to 650rwhp on 93 without a cam lobe... but you need better octane with high compression and that boost level...

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Honeslty I would spray meth through the rotors (may even gain boost from this) with the 38 cam lobe and probably 10gph nozzle be fine on fueling and have the octane properties you need in boost

14 Gen 5 Viper

Tuning Addict
    ??? Not contradicting anyone here, but I've made 630 to the tires on a Danali with a very mild cam, mildly ported heads (make sure you upgrade your guides), kooks longtubes with green cats, Whipple running base boost levels and a stock intake and fuel system with lots of room left for fueling. Important thing is to just get the better fuel pump lobe on the cam. I don't see why you should need that much boost or as extreme a setup just to make 650 to the tires.

Good numbers, how much boost? 7-8lbs??

From what I've experienced I tend to be in the 600rwhp mark on c7s with factory fuel system and stock cam and the l86 has slightly smaller injectors and same HPFP, but with a 33% or 38% cam I can see in the 630-650 mark..

LT4 stuff is good for about 100 more rwhp over the c7 stuff from what I've seen...

The original poster will probably be fine at 650 rwhp on the stock fuel system since he has a cam, but meth will help with octane (main benefit here and extend his fuel system even further, that's why I recommend it)

14 Gen 5 Viper

Well I feel a lot better now. I ordered a bed mount kit from Julio and just to reiterate I am wanting to get he most I can out of my setup. My tires and wheels are around 100 lbs each so that's gonna be my reasoning behind needing to do a little more to reach the same power levels.