Thread: Newbie pre purchase questions -pro vs std/ credit useage - Ford VCT

Potential Tuner

Newbie pre purchase questions -pro vs std/ credit useage - Ford VCT

Great site.. almost too much info. I searched and couldn't find what I was looking for so here goes:

1: Whats the difference between the standard and pro Versions of VCM suite?

2: With respect to credits- how are they used up exactly? For example I have a stock ford 5.4 3v truck. I want to disable the VCT system- which I understand is doable but may not as simple as a single parameter change. So I may need to go back in and change additional parameters for drivability and/or dash light clearing.. are credits used with each re-flash or - just with the initial pairing with that truck and all future changes to that same truck use no further credits?

3: I'm a reasonably proficient mechanical engineer with software development back ground... BUT- this stuff is all new to me and I'm smart enough to know that I have no clue what side effects or cross links might exist between even a simple single parameter change. IE- my goal is NOT ultimate power or track performance... I just want to keep using my truck - which runs much better with the VCT system disabled (despite every component being brand new ford oem). BUT- I don't want a constant CEL- nor do I want to make it impossible to pass inspections. How likely is it that that with minimal experience I'll be able to accomplish my goal?

4: Is there a section where experienced tuners (near me- Massachusetts) are listed that I could contract- instead of teaching myself how to do what I want?

Thanks

john

1. Here is what the main changes are from standard to Pro. You get outputs for sensors and like a wideband, data log without a computer.

MPVI Pro options available with VCM Scanner (Example)
    • Black box data logging (hardware logging without a laptop)
    • Wide band inputs
    • 2 programmable outputs
    Note: VCM Scanner comes with both MPVI Std. and MPVI Pro as it is a part of the VCM Suite software package.

2. It's 2 credits per "vehicle" or License, some vehicles it more than 2 credits. If you buy your software with 8 ford credits you could do 4 ford vehicles, you can't use ford credits on a GM or Dodge. Once you have used 2 credits on a vehicle will not never cost you credits again. You can tune that vehicle an unlimited amount of times. I'm not very ford knowledgable so I don't know what can and can't be changed on those vehicles, it's worth your time to see if what you talk about can be changed.

3. If you read and play with the software, then get to learn how it works you should be able to do this yourself. Take it slow like most new guys do and you'll be alright.

4. Not that I know of, you are more than welcome to make a thread and ask to see who is possibly around you for some help.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    thank you! Concise and to the points.

2 more questions.

I see reference to "VCM" a lot. what does that acronym stand for? i currently have some OBD connected gauges to monitor some PID's real time. I presume they'll still work after a reflash?

I forget what it is but they say VCM Editor and VCM Scanner often. It's just what they are called, I just say editor and scanner for short.

Yes any of those gauges would work again, you just have to unplug them when you are using your HPT software with the vehicle as that needs the OBD 2 port to flash/write the computer and to use it for scanning.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.