Thread: VE Spike

Tuner in Training

VE Spike

Hello All.

This is an LNF with a BorgWarner 6258 and I am getting a VE spike around 22psi.
    I been reading all the how to threads for a few months and followed Mike M instructions to a T and used his Base Tune to get started.

to MikeM since his instructions got rid of the pesky 3.7 degress that showed up everywhere.
    The car has no knock and the trims are on throttle +-2 with the LFTF disabled (Idle needs a bit of work).

However I cant get rid of the VE spike, it spikes to the max (67.9 i believe).

Would this be an hardware issue, such as a leak on the charge pipes. I have done a boost leak test but perhaps the leak is only present above 22 pounds.

Advanced Tuner
    Post a picture of the spike, the tune and the log. Any combination of that should help.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM173 View Post
    Post a picture of the spike, the tune and the log. Any combination of that should help.
    I will post some screen shots shortly

Tuner in Training
    Attached is the screen shot and the tune.
    I don't have the latest log on this laptop so there is some of the great 3.7 KR there.
    I will post the another log when home but it has the same VE spike, SFTF, Lean just without the knock (lower boost)

So this is still using the cams and many other things from the base tune.

Everything starts going wrong at 20PSI then VE goes to 67.72, trims shut off and it leans out.

I have tried adding the AFR error to the MAF correction table but I am wondering if its a hardware issue.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by 23547895; 01-26-2017 at 12:43 PM.

Tuner in Training
    I noticed a few errors on the tune when I went over it again and made some changes to the PE table. Lowered the timing and replaced the maf sensor (I have a few I pulled from junkyards in the trunk, this car has a history of wiring issues). On the other maf sensor the spike did not happen until 28psi as opposed to 22psi you see above. I lowered the wastegate duty cycles 10 percent but it was still at 28psi.

After messing around with the wastegate\ PID tables I got the boost to 26 and the spike is not present in the logs.

I made quite a few pulls, on most the Trims kept the fueling in check in others the STFT will go out of range and get stuck at 0. On 3 pulls there was 3 degress knock but most pulls in the same conditions showed no knock.

I am leaning towards a hardware issue. This motor has had a harness issue and patched at the dealer ( they did not replace it)

Senior Tuner
    Turbulence in the pipe, lazy 02 sensor. i do like the fun meter.
    Last edited by Area47; 01-27-2017 at 02:14 PM.
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

Tuner in Training
    You are correct Area47.
    Airflow issue on wastegate and intake.

Thanks!