Thread: SD tuning, higher rpm/load tuning, how does everyone do this?

Advanced Tuner

SD tuning, higher rpm/load tuning, how does everyone do this?

Live over in NJ here. Tried to do a few pulls up to 5krpm here and there in 1st-3rd. The roads here are crazy crowded so I can only do short sprints, and even at that, I can only get a cell count of 1 or 2 in their respective areas.

How is everyone getting 25+ counts in the higher rpm and map areas of the excel chart?? Is this necessary (thinking that PE would take over at high rpms....)???

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    low amounts of pids scanned so you get more fps & do 1,2, 3 gear runs only for the most part unless the person has crazy gears out back.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

... also, if you can find some long, steep hills, they're a great help. They hold the car in each cell a little longer, and you can modulate the throttle to stay in the cell you want to populate.
    Best regards,
    Bill
    Silver 2003 C5 roadster, M6, Euro red/amber tails, Z06 Ti mufflers, Z06 2 cat H-pipe, Z06 airbox, and HPTuners s/w - available to any Corvette or other GM vehicle in Calgary, and also for Ford and Dodge products, including Cummins

Advanced Tuner
    ok, so it does sound like I have to get the higher cells up to 6800rpm for all the gears counted up (without stepping on gas all the way to go into PE)??

If you're doing this, you should be using a wideband. Since you're comparing Commanded AFR with actual (w/b) AFR, it doesn't matter if you're in PE, or not. You'll still derive a VE correction value.
    Best regards,
    Bill
    Silver 2003 C5 roadster, M6, Euro red/amber tails, Z06 Ti mufflers, Z06 2 cat H-pipe, Z06 airbox, and HPTuners s/w - available to any Corvette or other GM vehicle in Calgary, and also for Ford and Dodge products, including Cummins

and if your PE vs TPS table is set correctly you will be in PE(and should be in PE) in those upper RPM areas anyways...

to get upper RPM and low load just do a part throttle with the pedal...

again..if set correctly you should be in PE up there anyways..
    -Scott -

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by soundengineer
    and if your PE vs TPS table is set correctly you will be in PE(and should be in PE) in those upper RPM areas anyways...

to get upper RPM and low load just do a part throttle with the pedal...

again..if set correctly you should be in PE up there anyways..

Well, right now Im commanding 14.6 afr. In the higher rpm levels it seems like the computer is still commanding 14.6 afr when I try to look over at the laptop. How can I check to make sure this is set up correctly? Sorry for all the dumb ?'s, new, and don't wanna make a costly mistake and all.

so far it seems as though the car still wants 14.6afr at high rpms...

need to log your Throttle position..then you can find out what TPS you need to set yours at to get into PE

you also need to log Commanded AFR to see what its commanding...
    it will be obvious when it changes from 14.63(stock value for stoich) to whatever your PE is set to
    -Scott -

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by soundengineer
    need to log your Throttle position..then you can find out what TPS you need to set yours at to get into PE

you also need to log Commanded AFR to see what its commanding...
    it will be obvious when it changes from 14.63(stock value for stoich) to whatever your PE is set to
    Ran through my log again and you are correct, the commanded does change with rpm, so I am safe thank god! It goes to around 12.6afr at higher rpm 4.5k+. But the TPS position didn't seem to affect it very much from what I could see in the log.

Is there any methodology to setting the TPS vs PE in any particular location, and any standard norm?

all it is ....is tps kicks it into PE...its not a percentage of tps = % of PE...
    PE is all or nothing...

basically stock setting around 25ish % are usually a good starting point for anything 4000 rpm and over
    -Scott -

Advanced Tuner
    This is probble gonna sound really stupid but has anyone ever tried logging while towing a loaded up trailer or caravan etc. This would put more load on the engine and you would be able to get into higher load points easier and stay there for longer.
    what do you guys reckon
    04 VY Commodore ute M6 ls1, 918 valve springs, TR6 plugs, genttrbb twin turbo kit, 60lb seimiens injectors, Bosh 044 fuel pump, SX fuel reg, PLX wideband,Full Castle Hill Exhaust with 2 1/2in dump pipes, 4in cats into twin 3in cat back (no merge), Ripshift, oz700 clutch and 3.73 diff gears