Thread: Help troubleshooting 5.7 Hemi starting issue

Potential Tuner

Help troubleshooting 5.7 Hemi starting issue

Hi all,
    I have completed engine swap into my 68 Fury recently. The 5.7 Hemi and PCM came out of 04 Durango. The only modification is the car intake due to firewall clearance and aftermarket air filter.
    It would start fine when cold (takes about 3 second to fire) but would not start on first try when hot. No matter how long I crank - no start. Second attempt - it fires right up (within 1 second), but RPM would go up for a few seconds (like the engine is cold) and then would idle fine. Other than that it runs fine and shows no trouble codes.
    I am not very experienced with HP Tuners. The only thing I used it for was turning off certain features and codes.
    Can anyone advise what to log and how to troubleshoot the issue?
    Thanks.

Sounds like you may want to check and verify fuel pressure, if the pump is weak and the fuel is hot to the point of boiling in the rail it's going to have trouble starting. Is this a return-less system? Either way I would check to see how long it holds pressure hot when you shut off the engine.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for your advise. I will be checking the fuel pressure next. Will post the results.
    It is return-less system. I was confused by the fact that it starts fine when cold and did not even think of boiling gas when hot.

Is it the factory rails? You said the intake had to be changed/modified...the factory rails have bladders in them that cause issues like this as well, usually though they cause misfires as well if they have failed.

Potential Tuner
    Yes, it`s got factory rails. I simply swapped truck intake for car intake, including the rails. No misfires, I made sure misfire detection is ON in the tune.
    Last night took the Fury for a ride and shut it off for 2 min, fired up on a first try. The issue happens when it sits for 5 min or so. Did not check the fuel pressure yet.

Potential Tuner
    Checked fuel pressure last night and did not find anything abnormal. When I turn the ignition on the pressure goes to 60 psi. With ignition off it goes to 55 psi within a minute and them stays there. One hour later the pressure was at 40 psi.