Thread: What tune changes are needed for e90?

Tuner in Training

What tune changes are needed for e90?

What tune changes are need when changing from 100 octane race fuel to E90 on an N/A Coyote with ford control pack?

Advanced Tuner
    Update your stoich value for e90 and also change your cold cranking lambda values to introduce a little bit of extra fuel during cold starts. That's the only change you need to make to get it to run good. From there you can make timing adjustments, although you prob don't need too since you are already running 100 octane.

Tuner in Training
    Awesome thx!

Tuner in Training
    What type of A/F fuel at wot should I be for max performance if im using a regular wide band?

Advanced Tuner
    E90 is 90% Ethanol so your about 30% less on Energy per gallon. E85=9.76 Stoich

Advanced Tuner
    .85 lambda works really good for me on e85, should work good for you on e90 as well.

e90 stoich: 9.76
    .85 lambda

9.76(AF)*.85(lambda)=8.29 A/F during power enrichment

Now you may run into a problem if you are using a external wideband that is calibrated for a stoich of 14.7 A/F...It is best to datalog the OEM widebands and make sure you are commanding .85 lambda
    Last edited by Jn2; 04-25-2017 at 03:20 PM.

Advanced Tuner

Lambda

Basically if your dialed in Already on E10 then all you need to do is adjust Stoich settings and set WOT. Greg Banish Said this of E5/E90. " From a combustion standpoint, it's all about balance of carbons and oxygens so using a relative ratio like lambda keeps things level. So in short, you don't need to change much else to make it run well.

That said, IF you want to run a bit leaner it's probably more forgiving with an alcohol due to the reduced burn temps. So running at a leaner lambda number now becomes an option IF you want to go there." SO .79 is good for WOT. See attached chart
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Thanks guys I had a tune in the car for 100 octane so I changed the stoich . It actually seems to run better although it didn't really pick up much power like I had hoped . Would any of you guys be able to take a look at the tune and see if there is anything I can do to give it some more power? It is strictly a race car .

Advanced Tuner
    Would need to see the tune and know what's done to it

Advanced Tuner
    You can add timing to the whole table about 3 Degs.

Senior Tuner
    Don't just add timing. Post the current tune and some details about the car if you want advice. It could even be running over advanced timing for all we know.

Tuner in Training
    See if this works. The car is an N/A Coyote with Cobra Jet intake and throttle body, 47lbs ford racing injectors, JLT cold air intake, Kooks long tubes, X pipe with flowmaster 40 series mufflers, G force 101A Trans

Senior Tuner
    Not the approach I would have taken but I'm guessing it just follows MBT spark because of the Lambda modifier adding so much. MBT will limit spark so that's the table it will be following WOT if you're not already aware of that. If you want to try 31 degrees at higher RPM that's where you would change it for example (providing your Borderline + Lambda modifier gets you there). You're probably already in the right area for making power on E85 as far as spark goes.

I just quickly glanced at it but can scan through things later if I have more time.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ridenrunwv View Post
    Not the approach I would have taken but I'm guessing it just follows MBT spark because of the Lambda modifier adding so much. MBT will limit spark so that's the table it will be following WOT if you're not already aware of that. If you want to try 31 degrees at higher RPM that's where you would change it for example (providing your Borderline + Lambda modifier gets you there). You're probably already in the right area for making power on E85 as far as spark goes.

I just quickly glanced at it but can scan through things later if I have more time.
    The 100 octane tune was just one I got from someone so i just modified the stoich to try the E90. The car made 449 rwhp on the 100 octane tune on a Dynojet in sae but I need to find some more power and know guys have to be making more power with this set up. It picked up a little bit with E90 but not what I expected so I figure i must be doing something wrong

Senior Tuner
    Might be all it's got in it. At this point I think you're really tuning for small gains at but if you have access to a dyno you can try a degree or two more timing and a bit less overlap up top.