Thread: Scan Rate Question

Tuner in Training

Scan Rate Question

I've been using another brand of tuning software for the last 8-9 years and slowly getting into HPT. I created a channel listing and layout with gauges, graph, and chart vs time. All that went great.

I wanted to check on the scan rate, but did not see an option for it. The HPT Help File shows a different table window than what's in the 3.4 software I'm using. I understand the byte limitations with the controller type, but aside from counting each one, is there a place in the scanner that list the number of bytes used and scan rate in frames per second? One last question, do most of you apply filters in the Graphs function or is there a more generic filter that applies to all data displays?

Thanks in advance!

Banned
    Scan rate = Polling Interval

Right click over one of your "channels" in your "Channels" list in Scanner
    4th option down = Polling Interval

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smith View Post
    Scan rate = Polling Interval

Right click over one of your "channels" in your "Channels" list in Scanner
    4th option down = Polling Interval
    I see, so each channel is scanned at a different rate. Is there an overall poll rate of the scan? And is there a place to check the total number of bytes of the channel list? The help HPT section said max is 56 bytes on the E38/E67 controllers, but not sure how to check that.

Each PID has a default polling interval. As far as I know, there isn't a place to check the total byte size of the channel list. But I do know from experience that your throughput from the OBD port is impacted by the total number of channels and the polling interval as well. I raise the interval on PIDs that do not require quick updates (temps etc - 2 sec, 5 sec etc). I have different formats for different uses. e.g. when searching for TB problems, I only use channels specific to the issue at hand etc.
    Last edited by 15PSI; 05-09-2017 at 09:44 AM.
    2012 Mustang GT with S/C
    4Runner with S/C
    Turbo/NOS Hayabusa - 320RWHP

VCM Scanner 3.4 isn't limited by the controllers "byte limit" like VCM Scanner 2.24 and other competing softwares are.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Tuner
    There are a few semi-recent threads discussing this in more detail if you search. Suffice to say, the "old" model of "25 samples per second" doesn't really apply in the latest version of HPT. The port spits data out (essentially) as fast as possible and the software aggregates and displays the data into the rate(s) you configure.
    2007 Z06 (E38 ECM), stock LS7 short block, .030" milled/ported heads, PLX SM-AFR, MPVI Pro