I noticed over the last few days that the VCM Scanner app was beginning to run slower and slower when it came to opening and closing log files (using the same single instance kept open for probably a week or more). In fact, last night it got so slow that I thought the computer had frozen, and then I received a .NET "unhandled exception" box indicating a System.OutOfMemory exception (I was attempting to open a ~10mb log file). In other words, it appears there are some lingering references to larger objects that are being kept around (maybe in a dictionary, perhaps, or a missing using() around an IDisposable?) preventing the GC from doing it's job and getting them cleaned up.

Obviously, there's an easy work-around with just closing and reopening the app, but I figured I'd mention it as I've typically found over the years that these sorts of issues (lingering references) will often cause other more "hard to spot" behaviors that can be a total pain in the rear to track down. Plus, someone dealing with a larger volume of files (without restarting the app) in a given day is more likely to run into this much sooner than I did.