Thread: Resetting channels, vehicles

Resetting channels, vehicles

After much time wasted trying to understand why I was continuously loosing more and more functionality I did a from scratch install which fixed nothing. Then I took my laptop to the car and after a session which told me it couldnt detect the protocol I suceeded in getting the interface to talk to the car and that allowed me to load the vehicle default channels which apparently is key to get all the available channels listed so you can support your layout.

It seems to me from searching on the many issues I experienced and the lack of any clear solutions it would be enormously helpful if a sticky were made to outline how to properly "initialize" an updated or new install of HPT by connecting to the car.

I did it by blind luck so I'm not up to the task and believe it would not only be helpful but eliminate alot of the basic problems behind many of the questions being posted here. I think we need more stickies from the HPT guys addressing basics to reduce the number of repeat questions. From what I can see we have one sticky from 2007 telling how to get started with Suite...to me that is mind boggling that HPT spends so much time upgrading HPT yet hasnt posted any systematic basic startup in 10 years

'06 BOM M6 Widebody RA6 GTO
    Trick Flow 550 kit( 225 heads, Track Max cam, springs, chain etc)
    ARH longtube , MBS HiFlow cats, Corsa Touring X-pipe SS exhaust
    Wilson FAST 92mm manifold #42 DeatschWerks Injectors soon
    Vararam Intake Duspeed not installed yet
    B&M shifter 3.91 rear,Monster level 4 Harrop diff cover
    CTS-V V2 brakes BC BR coilovers Whiteline everything
    DSS AH axles, Spohn LC arms, Toe Bar
    CCW 505a 10.5x19, 12.5x20 Nitto Invo 285& 345
    SCSS oil & afr Innovate LC2

All you should need to do is connect to the vehicle and record data once for it to get a list of all the available channels, then you can add whatever to the list of channels being logged
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Yes, however the point of my post was that connecting the first time seemed to have its own issues. First it would not detect the protocol, then it couldnt detect the vehicle then it couldnt identify it. I connected, disconnected and started logging a couple times and "magically" it finally worked. I did not giggle cables or turn the vehicle on and off etc. My take is there is a sequence and timing involved and I was asking for something a bit more definitive. I'd imagine that might vary with ECMs but hoped there is a way to explain what has to happen such that one could repeatably get results. Also as I concluded, one needs to first load vehicle defaults to know what is already available and to have working channels vs everything being grayed out.
    I see you helping (thousands? of) people with basics and have to think there is an easier way to get people on the right path, as I said above, that should be coming from HPT. I think of it as tough love from HPT...you paid a lot to own it, now you're motivated to climb the mountain regardless of how high it is or how far up we move the peak.

'06 BOM M6 Widebody RA6 GTO
    Trick Flow 550 kit( 225 heads, Track Max cam, springs, chain etc)
    ARH longtube , MBS HiFlow cats, Corsa Touring X-pipe SS exhaust
    Wilson FAST 92mm manifold #42 DeatschWerks Injectors soon
    Vararam Intake Duspeed not installed yet
    B&M shifter 3.91 rear,Monster level 4 Harrop diff cover
    CTS-V V2 brakes BC BR coilovers Whiteline everything
    DSS AH axles, Spohn LC arms, Toe Bar
    CCW 505a 10.5x19, 12.5x20 Nitto Invo 285& 345
    SCSS oil & afr Innovate LC2

Yeah that's weird, it should have connected right the first time.. not sure why it gave you issues at first

Above my pay grade I suppose, lol

I had the similar problem after reinstalling HPT yesterday... Scanner would not see the CAN Wideband or CAN FPCM, so yes 3.6.5 is funky. I also did the same thing by trying Vehicle Defaults, nothing, and SAE defaults, I did have the ECU PIDS though, no FPCM or Can WB. Sounds like the OP was only seeing the SAE PIDS, maybe the scanner wasnt seeing GM PIDS. Eventually I tried CONNECTING and DISCONNECTING to Vehicle buttons 3-4 times, then magically the FPCM and CAN Wideband became available, I thought I was in the clear but then adding FUel Pump DC still that didnt work, it shows 99.7% all the time. I did remove 3.6.5 and installed 3.5.699 which is still working (but freezing) on my original laptop. 3.5.669 or whatever did work on my new laptop and showed Fuel Pump DC properly... but at that point I updated to 3.6.5 and lost it instantly.

I am having freezing when I go WOT (about 1 sec after I got WOT, or let off WOT) but that still remains a problem on the old laptop but I think now that is a side effect of trying to log from the FPCM. Havent tried removing them yet and run long longs with lots of WOTs.

Really wish they would fix this
    Last edited by 10_SS; 06-09-2017 at 01:54 PM.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Quote Originally Posted by 10_SS View Post
    I had the similar problem after reinstalling HPT yesterday... Scanner would not see the CAN Wideband or CAN FPCM, so yes 3.6.5 is funky. I also did the same thing by trying Vehicle Defaults, nothing, and SAE defaults, I did have the ECU PIDS though, no FPCM or Can WB. Sounds like the OP was only seeing the SAE PIDS, maybe the scanner wasnt seeing GM PIDS. Eventually I tried CONNECTING and DISCONNECTING to Vehicle buttons 3-4 times, then magically the FPCM and CAN Wideband became available, I thought I was in the clear but then adding FUel Pump DC still that didnt work, it shows 99.7% all the time. I did remove 3.6.5 and installed 3.5.699 which is still working (but freezing) on my original laptop. 3.5.669 or whatever did work on my new laptop and showed Fuel Pump DC properly... but at that point I updated to 3.6.5 and lost it instantly.

I am having freezing when I go WOT (about 1 sec after I got WOT, or let off WOT) but that still remains a problem on the old laptop but I think now that is a side effect of trying to log from the FPCM. Havent tried removing them yet and run long longs with lots of WOTs.

Really wish they would fix this
    Please e-mail your Debug.dat to support so that we can look into it.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Engineer@HPT View Post
    Please e-mail your Debug.dat to support so that we can look into it.
    Thanks.
    I did yesterday after someone said I never sent it in... it included the debug.dat and a very small log of the Fuel Pump DC not working. Debug is 19kb, log is 30kb

to: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
    date: Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 11:25 PM
    subject: Re: [#82904]: HPTuners.com Support Contact Request - 10258
    mailed-by: gmail.com
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires