Thread: Sorry, 1 more KR question

Sorry, 1 more KR question

I am recording my KR as well as KR for each cylinder. How come the KR per cylinder doesn't total up to what i get for KR pid? Just did a short log and i had 8 KR in a particular time and for that same time when looking at the per cyl. KR i only total 3 degrees. Where is the other 5 degrees? Do i need to record something else to find the missing 5?

Anybody?

Senior Tuner
    not sure exactly i only log the one kr pid, but maby the 3 deg is what the cylinders/sensor sees but the 8 deg total is what the tune removes

Advanced Tuner
    Well, in any case, whatever you see for individual cylinders, you can't change that, there is only the "overall" KR value, that GM must derive somehow from the cylinder data, that you can change. So logging cylinder knock is not very useful imho... "academic interest only", lol.

You also have to be very careful with what the timing shown on any graph is, as the graphing does the best job it can, and that can be deceptive, poll speed also matters...sometimes better to look at the raw data...
    99 TA, Texas Speed LS376, PRC heads, 233/239 cam, Fast 92mm, 95mm TB, card style MAF, Tick TR6060, Strange 4.11 12 bolt axle & clutchpack diff, Strano springs/dampers, Vette 18" wheels, Vette disks, CTS-V calipers, 16lb flywheel, long tube headers, no cats.

thanks to u both for the responses! reason i was logging all the cyl kr was to see where all the kr was coming from. 90% of the time my number 3 cyl shows kr when the others show 0. I am thinking it is because the sensor is mounted at the cyl 3 position.

Advanced Tuner
    Are the values the same interpretation? One might be 'counting' KR detection and the other might be adjusting its 'degree' to the number of hits it previously has detecting during counting.

Advanced Tuner
    Some cars (it varies) have differing numbers for sensor sensitivity for some cylinders...and some don't..
    99 TA, Texas Speed LS376, PRC heads, 233/239 cam, Fast 92mm, 95mm TB, card style MAF, Tick TR6060, Strange 4.11 12 bolt axle & clutchpack diff, Strano springs/dampers, Vette 18" wheels, Vette disks, CTS-V calipers, 16lb flywheel, long tube headers, no cats.

Since it is almost always cyl 1 and 3 that show any KR, i made those 2 cyls a little less sensitive in the rpm range of the issue. I notice some times i can show KR on the KR pid, but not show any KR on the per cylinder KR pids. I don't get KR at WOT, just a little cruising or slight acceleration, especially if the converter is unlocked.

Here is a log from driving yesterday and if u scroll to 2:13.277 and look in channels it shows KR but no KR in any cylinder.

Second log go to 2:04.801 and in channels u will see 3KR, but only 1 KR for cyl #3 and zero for the other cylinders
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    ... did you note my comments about logging. You are logging far too many channels to be looking at something fast like this. Log 15 or 20, no more, and set the poll times to (a) something suitable and (b) same as each other...

Otherwise the log just 'misses' values.

You can't avoid the fact that theres a finite resource (the serial channel to ECU) and the more you request down it, the bigger the chance of missed/delayed messages.

Quote Originally Posted by dermotw View Post
    ... did you note my comments about logging. You are logging far too many channels to be looking at something fast like this. Log 15 or 20, no more, and set the poll times to (a) something suitable and (b) same as each other...

Otherwise the log just 'misses' values.

You can't avoid the fact that theres a finite resource (the serial channel to ECU) and the more you request down it, the bigger the chance of missed/delayed messages.
    Thanks, you bring up good points and will readjust my channels and settings for them.