Thread: 2.3L Ecoboost E85 Timing

Potential Tuner

2.3L Ecoboost E85 Timing

For those of you that have tuned these 2.3L ecoboost cars, mainly mustang, on E85 or E30 blend... How much timing do you guys usually run with boost starting around 25 and tapering down to 22ish at RL.

These motors run so little timing from the factory that I am worried how far to take it, car doesn't seem to knock at all with ethanol. I also don't have a dyno to test on the fly.

Advanced Tuner
    I wouldn't run anything more than e30 blend. That being said, dyno testing is always recommended when pushing the car with the addition of e85. I would use the MBT tables as a max timing standpoint, but I would not push the timing to that point. Can't really say exactly what to run, no fun in that lol. Whatever your base timing on 93 is, I would take that and at least start with an additional 4 degrees of timing everywhere, and work your way from there.

Kris

I'm at 25 degrees with the 2.0L GM LNF (Bosch GTDI system) at 23-24 psi using E30. I know it isn't the exact same engine as your 2.3L. I'd try to increase it by 4 degree increments until you see knock retard then back it off by maybe 2 degrees.

My SHO with the 3.5L EcoBoost seems to have trouble running more than 18 degrees at 17 psi with E30. I'm hearing that the 3.5 GTDI should be able to see 25-27 degrees at boost, but I don't see how it is possible or there are issues with my 3.5L (carbon buildup?). I'm also running colder plugs and the colder t-stat.