Thread: 2016 SRT8 Challenger D1SC Not Making Boost

Advanced Tuner

2016 SRT8 Challenger D1SC Not Making Boost

Ok, this is a bit of a weird one. I was brought this car by someone who had just purchased it at a dealer auction. It is a 2016 Challenger SRT8 with a D1SC Procharger on it. The car runs fine around town, but when you put your foot into it, it makes no boost. Attached is a log showing it.

I have checked all the basics; intercooler piping, blow off valve, vacuum leaks, belt tension, etc., and everything has checked out ok. It appears in the log that the throttle body is opening all the way, but that is still something that has crossed my mind.

The owner of the car wants to send the supercharger in to Procharger to have them check it out, but I really don't see that changing anything. If something was "loose" or "slipping", it would at least make some boost, but I am getting nothing. The MAP reading flatlines at 110kpa (2 bar MAP)

Any ideas would be great. This is something I have never come across before.

Here is the tune that was in it when I got it (I haven't touched it yet), as well as a log showing the issue.

2016 Challenger SRT8 D1SC No Boost.hpt
    Challenger No Boost.hpl

Do you here it spinning?
    Is there a bov stuck open?
    When you take off the air filter do you see the turbine spinning?

Advanced Tuner
    If it's not making ANY boost I would think the BOV isn't closing. Do you have a smoke machine?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Kmoney View Post
    Do you here it spinning?
    Is there a bov stuck open?
    When you take off the air filter do you see the turbine spinning?
    I can certainly hear it spinning. There is no evidence of belt slip, and I double checked the tension. The impeller does spin with the pulley with the filter off.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@HAP View Post
    If it's not making ANY boost I would think the BOV isn't closing. Do you have a smoke machine?
    That is my thought too. I did smoke check the system, but didn't find any leaks. I took the BOV off and checked it and it moves freely under vacuum. In talking to Procharger, they said since it is normally closed, it should be fine. I have my doubts.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Advanced Tuner
    Can you watch the BOV when you snap the throttle? It should at least move when the engine vacuum drops out.

Where is line from the BOV going?

I know some people have put restrictors in the line so the boost isn't on/off. I've heard of people doing that with Whipples but not for sure about Prochargers.

Advanced Tuner
    not that it's related, but it's only commanding .88 Lambda at WOT which is like 12.8:1 on the gas scale. That's scary lean. I would be scared to get into boost at all.

I'd probably start with the WOT multiplier of .0155 which is going to be .82 Lambda. I'd rather be on the rich side especially not knowing how much boost its going to make.

WOT Spark looks safe

Advanced Tuner
    1barMAP.jpg

The tune shows it setup for a 1 bar MAP. Well the Max MAP is anyway, that's why it's showing 110kpa in the log.

It's probably throwing a MAP DTC too I would bet.

Have you put a boost gauge on it to verify the boost? It's getting lots of spark knock. Throttle rate spark is stock so that's expected at a WOT hit, but at 3500 your spark advance is -6 degrees.

It's making boost, the MAP just can't see it.
    Last edited by Jay@HAP; 07-19-2017 at 06:17 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    The BARO is 101kpa and at idle the MAP is reading 35kpa so I'm confident the MAP data is for a 2bar or I would think the BARO would be out of whack(technical term). I'd have to go back and check to be certian. Try raising you Max MAP value to 200kpa and see if the log shows boost.

Advanced Tuner
    Hmm. I'll double check the MAP, but I thought I read an SRT4 part number on it. The car has a boost gauge on it, and it is not reading boost either, but operating normally in vacuum. Also, the car is dog slow...

As far as the tune being setup for the 2 bar, I missed those tables looking over the tune. The MAP Sensor Linear and Offset are setup for a 2 bar. That could explain the flatlined reading.

The tune was done at another shop, but I agree that it needs work. I just need to make sure the car is right mechanically before I start to get into it.

Thanks for taking the time to look it over, you've given me some things to think about.