Thread: Mechanic here, new to this and need HELP

Potential Tuner

Mechanic here, new to this and need HELP

Hi, brand new to the forum and I need help.

I have a brick and mortar auto repair shop where i service general auto repair of domestic and foreign vehicles. Here is my problem. I have many customers that need Smog check related repairs. Once I repair their car, off course the readiness monitors are reset and I typically ask customers to drive the car for 100 miles and print out a generic drive cycle for their reference. I dont have many happy customers this way because they either dont understand what a drive cycle is and why its necessary after a repair and why its related to a smog check. Im in California as well.

NOW, I understand that with HP tuners can help force monitors to be ready after i properly repair customers vehicles. if i can do this, it will help me greatly. I have VW and BMW and a Honda pilot that took 5weeks of driving to get all monitors ready. THAT was HORRIBLE! Nobody was happy! Customer began to doubt that i even fix their car correctly. i hated that.

So can HP Tuners help me? I off course contact support first before posting in this forum. Support was no help. they directly me to this forum for help. so here i am.

So from a mechanic point of view, can i purchase a HP Tuner and force monitors after i properly repair customers cars? From what i have read here, this is absolutely possible. I like to know how and what i need to purchase to do this.

Please advise, much appreciated.

Advanced Tuner
    Someone correct me if I am wrong, as I am not by any means an expert.

I believe what you are referring to is the ability to remove CEL code reporting. Yes, you can remove the ability for failures to report and therefore there will be no readiness check. This is not the same thing as what I believe you are looking for. It would also be expensive because you would have to license every vehicle for this to work.

I do not believe HPtuners has the ability to just make the readiness monitors be completed.

It would be against EPA regulations to offer software that accomplished enabling readiness monitors. You can prevent them reporting, but HPT software does not have the ability to ensure readiness. A sound business decision in my opinion. On some ECUs, HPTuners has the ability to modify some parameters, which might be helpful in 'nudging' the ECU to speed things up, but unfortunately for many, me included, the drive cycle is the only legal and legitimate way to accomplish setting the monitors.
    2012 Mustang GT with S/C
    4Runner with S/C
    Turbo/NOS Hayabusa - 320RWHP