Thread: 2014 mustang will not start after first flash

Tuner in Training

2014 mustang will not start after first flash

I have a 2014 mustang I am trying to tune. Car came with an SCT programmer so I flashed it back to stock and then read the file with HP tuners. Edited the program and flashed the car. As soon as the flash was finished all the lights and error messages you can think of started in. Lots of clicking from relays I assume. Need some help desperately. Any direction would be greatly appreciated. flashed several times trying to correct but no go. Tell me I don't have to go to the dealership to have it flashed back to stock, please!

Tuner in Training
    so I just loaded a program I did for another coyote and the car runs great. Made some changes to the file, went to flash and now it reads, "unlicensed vehicle" It will not even accept the factory tune now, reads unlicensed vehicle. What can I do?
    Last edited by turbojim; 08-19-2017 at 10:09 AM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    sounds like you created a new vin/os pair that you do NOT have a license for. You will need to reread the ecm as it sits and license it in order to tune the vehicle as it sits.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    That makes sense about where I am at now. Do you know why it freaked out the first time I flashed with the modified factory tune. Sad thing is I tried restoring the factory back up and when it initiated me to purchase credits I did thinking that was the correct pair. Same error message, unlicensed vehicle. I will read the tune and license it but now I am 300 into this car.......Is there anyway to make sure this will work? Running out of money. I will have three licenses for this car

Advanced Tuner
    Join the crowd. Looks like there's an error in the new software causing these problems. I sit here in same boat, bought three licenses, and none of them work. ALl I have is the new software, someone posted that the old software worked for them, if I had the old software, I would try it for myself.

Senior Tuner
    What are you considering the new / old software?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ridenrunwv View Post
    What are you considering the new / old software?
    I think they had said it was like 3.4 or somewhere along there

Senior Tuner
    Old problems... Just get the newest software. You can't go by things you read about problems from a really old release. It's likely been fixed now. I commented on the thread you posted about the process to go through for what you're trying to do.

ridenrunwv is correct. Also remember that the newer versions save the files in a different format as well. There are advantages to the newest release version. You might also want to request that support puts the Beta up on your customer center. It has some advantages over the stable release. I haven't found any significant bugs in the Beta, but I believe that ridenrunwv mentioned a few weeks ago that he experienced some minor issues, but he can comment on that one.
    2012 Mustang GT with S/C
    4Runner with S/C
    Turbo/NOS Hayabusa - 320RWHP

Advanced Tuner
    I have the latest software, still can't flash, getting unlicensed vehicle. I know software works fine as I've been tuning my 2010 Shelby with no problems.
    How do we get this back to stock after it's been locked by another software company?

Senior Tuner
    Ask your local Ford dealership what they would charge before you keep throwing credits at it.

Advanced Tuner
    Common issue, flash it again, something wasn't like in the flash, I've had it happen a lot, usually on Auto cars, actually thinking back, always auto cars. Normal I just flash the stock tune back on and then flash the modified one on their and all works again. You "fixed" it only bc you did what I mentioned, you flashed it again...but now you have to license the new VIN/Strat combo to continue

Quote Originally Posted by MRRPMBRP View Post
    Join the crowd. Looks like there's an error in the new software causing these problems. I sit here in same boat, bought three licenses, and none of them work. ALl I have is the new software, someone posted that the old software worked for them, if I had the old software, I would try it for myself.
    your problem is different, you have not licensed the VIN/Strat combo in the ECM, so no matter how many files you license, it will not write to your ECM bc you have not license your vehicle's VIN/Strat combo

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jn2 View Post
    your problem is different, you have not licensed the VIN/Strat combo in the ECM, so no matter how many files you license, it will not write to your ECM bc you have not license your vehicle's VIN/Strat combo
    Ok, how do I license the vehicle's VIN/Strat combo?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MRRPMBRP View Post
    Ok, how do I license the vehicle's VIN/Strat combo?
    YOU specifically cannot according to your post. If the file you read from the ECM is locked and you don't get the license option than you need someone at the dealer to flash a stock tune on the car using a VCM2...once that has been done, you can pull the file from the ECM and license it in order to tune your car...blame the previous tuner, not HPT for this

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jn2 View Post
    YOU specifically cannot according to your post. If the file you read from the ECM is locked and you don't get the license option than you need someone at the dealer to flash a stock tune on the car using a VCM2...once that has been done, you can pull the file from the ECM and license it in order to tune your car...blame the previous tuner, not HPT for this
    Yes, I have figured this out, put in a tech ticket to HPTuners, and they said flash back to stock from Ford, and go from there. They also said the operating system was changed. I have contacted Ford place, waiting on them to call me back.