Thread: Trying to get cruise working on an E67 over CAN

Potential Tuner

Trying to get cruise working on an E67 over CAN

I have an ERod LS3 (E67) and would love to get DBW cruise control working. I have the ability to generate the BCM messages from the cruise switches using an external CAN controller, but it appears that the ERod OS doesn't have cruise enabled, as it doesn't respond to Cruise On messages, even with the 'alive' rolling counter.

So, I'm looking to a) Get a spare PCM to hack around with, and b) flash it with an OS that includes cruise, to see if I can get this working.

What should I be shopping for, both in terms of PCM part number and OS image?

I've searched a bit, but it looks like the E67 running an LS3 wasn't very common?

Thanks for helping this n00b out.

Tuning Addict
    ZL1 or ctsv manual or auto 6 speeds?
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    ZL1 or ctsv manual or auto 6 speeds?
    Ah, ZL1 I didn't know about. I'd found early CTSV and TBSS. ZL1 is more modern, probably a better bet. The LSA ERod and ZL1 are probably fairly similar.

The car is a 6spd manual, yes.

Thanks!

Tuning Addict
    2013 ZL1 Camaro manual then... If you need a vin for ordering the ECM let me know I would order one for an actual car, that way everything is tune editable...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Potential Tuner
    That would be awesome, thanks! PM sent.

Tuning Addict
    Just keep in mind that if you go the LSA engine route that it's using an external baro, supercharger iat2 sensor, coolant pump and a few other things that are different from the regular ls3, so not sure if your harness would work or not...

~Greg Huggins~

Potential Tuner
    Ah, good points. So, I have a print of my harness, but I don't have the equivalent print for any of the other options.
    Do you think I'd be better off with a CTS-V, then? The TBSS has provision to wire cruise direct to the PCM, so it might not respond to CAN.
    It would be an easier way to make this work, but where's the fun in that?

Tuning Addict
    You could always just get a harness for a ZL? Not sure what they cost? Would be better if your FI or planning on going that route later too - no need to worry about auto baro updates at that point and could always kill the other dtc's if not using the options...

~Greg Huggins~

Potential Tuner
    Not planning on FI. There's no room, and the car only weighs 2600lbs.

Tuner in Training
    Probably not what you want, but I'm using a Rostra DBW cruise unit and it works pretty well. Not as good OEM but pretty close.

Potential Tuner
    If you have a live VSS read over serial from the e67, Dakota Digital's CRC-1 DBW cruise module should work for you. If you are like me and have no VSS reading over serial data from the e67 (debatable as to why as I haven't figured it out yet), then their CRC-2 module works with a dedicated VSS signal from the trans. I'm using the CRC-2 and it works great. I didn't want to go the whole BCM route.

As an aside and to go along with the prior post, I believe Rostra provides the internals for the Dakota Digital stuff.
    Last edited by WRC7732; 09-07-2017 at 07:55 PM.

Potential Tuner
    WRC7732-
    The car actually has a Spanky's Rod Shop cruise system in it already. It's worked maybe once, and I'm not thrilled with the idea of something with that level of reliability sitting in the throttle pedal harness. Thus, I'm looking for a better solution. I have a programmable CAN controller in the car to run the reverse lockout solenoid, and that has enough pins for the cruise and brake switches, so I thought I'd try to get things running from there.
    It looks like the closest production car match to the E-Rod LS3 is actually the '07 CTS-V (LS2/Manual). TBSS could work as well, and has discrete inputs for cruise switches, but that's actually more wiring for me.
    So I have a CTS-V PCM coming to mess with. Watch this space, and thanks for the pointers, guys.