Thread: 2016 Silverado 5.3L 6 spd

Potential Tuner

Post 2016 Silverado 5.3L 6 spd

I was looking to purchase the tuner for my 2016 Silverado 5.3L 4x4 Z71 and was wondering if anyone can help me understand the following:

1. what is the difference between D1 and D2 with respect to my selector which is D and M?
    2. where in the software can I find the trailer button information in the tune?
    3. if I hold the trailer button in for 5 secs it disables grade braking, where is this found in the tune?
    4. I like the performance of the trailer button with grade braking off but can I copy that table and move it to normal?
    5. to turn off DoD is it located in one spot or are there several locations in the tune?
    6. to turn off torque management is it located in one spot or are there several locations in the tune?
    7. are there standard tunes available in the repository for 87 octane performance or 91 octane?
    8. Are there methods available to adjust the MAF sensor table to optimize the fuel delivery, i.e. like doing a log and analyzing it to make adjustments?
    9. does anyone know how to adjust the shifting such that it isn't in 6th gear by the time I am 35 mph?
    10. I am trying to remove DOD, torque management, shifting times, in the hopes that when I step on the pedal at a stop light part throttle it has a performance feel to it similar to how it performs in manual mode and it doesn't shift up through the gears as quickly.

thanks for any helpful information

1. On the 6L80e's only use the "NORMAL" table in drive. Manual mode has it's own tables you can click on under the normal tables. There are ones for D5/M5 and D6/M6 along with D1 and D2. I don't think much changed there on the DI engines.

2. I'd have to look at the tune file to see if anything is specific to tow haul mode.

3. Again I'd have to see the file to comment further. Though I'm not sure there is a set feature just for that.

4. You can tune the normal shift tables to do whatever you wish them to do, so long as you understand what you are doing. Tuning a 6L80e is no easy task and to me you wouldn't want it set up like it was in tow/haul mode all the time. It's better to tune it the way you want it for everyday driving. You can make shifts cleaner, faster etc etc with the correct settings.

5. One spot, it's a simple enable/disable feature in the tune.

6. You don't, this is a torque based controller so you can't disable torque mngt. You can only tweak it but again you must completely understand what you are doing, these controller are nothing to laugh at. Very complex in how they work.

7. No, there are no pre-set tunes out there or none that you should try to use. To me this is a tuning tool that you use to make the best of each vehicle.

8. Yes, totally there is. You can log the MAF data or VVE data and make corrections to either through data logging. That's how all this tuning is done. The VCM scanner section has a few sticky threads on how you'd set the scanner to tune those.

9. Back to the transmission tuning, it would be done there. You can adjust speed mph, the shift speed all through there. You can change the mph at which it can go into the next gear, like make 6th gear be 45-50mph instead of 35-40mph or whatever.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

In addition to what 5FDP has said, If you are comfortable tuning your ECM with HPTuners, but you have not tuned an A6 GM controller, I would, and did, do this. Go to http://thetuningschool.com/product/g...-tuning-guide/ . It is well worth it. It will get you going in the right direction on the trans. As you will probably be told, you still need to understand the changes you make. It isn't a one size fits all tune. I really like what I produced with the guidance. They also will give you help as you learn. You can break a lot on a Gen V, if you are not familiar with Torque Control. Engine and Trans. You can also do a lot, if you are ready to devote yourself for a long learning curve.

I have a 2015 GMC Sierra. I have found a tremendous amount of info and help here. You MUST use the search function and read a ton. If you are already familiar with Gen III and Gen IV, I would start with Gen V posts back in 2014. That is when the members here started to deal with Gen V. In my opinion, there is no other way other than a school. A true new animal. My tune is developing with extensive help from member IARLLC. As you will find, if it says Senior Tuner, they are involved.