Thread: Ls swap ecu deletes....which ones...

Tuner in Training

Ls swap ecu deletes....which ones...

When i first did my 5.3 swap i had a guy delete the Vats....and he said he was gona delete other things....well know i have Hp tuners and my buddy asked to delete the vats fir his hotrod swap.....what other stuff do u guys like deleting?

Depends on the application I guess. If evap isn't needed, those codes and systems would be removed, same with EGR or air pump if equipped.

Sometimes even the computer being used can determine if removing the rear o2 sensors can be removed completely. HP Tuners can't turn off a cat test in some of the P59 computers so leaving the o2 sensors there is required but the DTC's can be turned off.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    What about like fans

Either wire them up to work with the PCM or put them on a switch.

My buddy just make switches for his in the rock crawler he swapped a 5.3 in.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

On a P59 computer... how can you tell if the rear O2's are needed..
    What year did they start doing the cat test???
    If im doing a harness I want to be sure I leave the rear cat wires there..
    Thanks Richard

For sure I've dealt with it a 2004 and 2006 trucks. I'm sure I've seen it on several other years that range from 03-07.

The easiest way to tell is if the sensors where removed the commanded AFR will to 16 then down to 13 or vise versa as the computer is commanding the test. It can happen at random during the drive cycles.

Is there a way to look at the P59 controller using HP tuners before I start reworking the harness...
    Thanks Richard

You can make an off board/bench top tuning setup if you want to read computers without hooking them up to a vehicle itself.

Ls1 tech may have write ups for wiring and powering it.

Ya I have made one...but you haven't said how to tell if the controller P59 has the o2 self test feature..
    Thanks Richard

Sure I did, you have to run the vehicle to see.

There is no "table" that will show you and there is no way to just look at the tune file to see if the test will happen with the P59 you have.

Let just put it this way, there is a great chance that any P59 computer with the rear o2 sensor removed on a DBW vehicle that the cat test will be always be active with the rear o2 sensors completely removed. HP Tuners can not show you the table to disabled it, I believe on EFI Live software can show you this table and maybe another program.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    most people ignore the test function of the ecu cat cycle. Run the ecu with O2 codes for the rear disabled and if you see spots that don't add up scroll through the log and check to see if the test triggered.
    as 5F stated: the commanded afr will swing from 16-13 ~ish when the test triggers. If you tune by referencing against the commanded afr and you have it properly dialed in then you test mode isn't an issue anyways.

What i mean here is if the airflow tables model the engine requirement properly then then it wont matter what afr the ecu targets, it should hit it within 5% or less of commanded afr.
    The cat test swings the fuel ratio to see if the rear o2 sensors also swing as a result of the drastic afr change. if they move to fast or drastically out of the range on the allowed test parameters then it triggers a test failure. This case doesn't matter for you unless your a California vehicle in which case you have to pass a sniff test and cant have any emissions test reporting back as incomplete. Also, according to CARB regulations any vehicles that have motor swaps from a newer year platform must conform to the emissions standards for the year and vehicle the motor was removed from; further adding to the pain in butt that is the Holly Land of Retardation...California. Last i checked this was the case for the Anaheim, CA test facilities in 2010. As we all know they don't relax rules in California either which likely makes these rules still hold true. Most other states are either visual inspection or are like the NV area i live in and just plug into the ecu and scan for failed emissions tests. We are allowed no codes and up to but not exceeding 2 incomplete emissions tests; this does not include failed emissions tests.

For older DBC engines the ecu may need to have a specific OS in order to utilize the on board fan controls. I know for a fact the 0411 requires a camaro OS to utilize this feature. Most people ignore the ecu fan option and use the coolant port in the cylinder head to install a thermostatic fan switch and trigger one or two 40 amp relays depending on fan qty and power draw needs. Stock setups only use one coolant sensor and since the heads are identical for use on either side, you just pull the plug from the side without a sensor and install an adapter (Autometer #2277 which requires shallow depth sensors such as Derale #16730 or Derale #16731)
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 11-06-2017 at 02:41 AM.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    I just came across this P59 CAT test during logging after putting my 04 Z06 back in CL. I was doing a sanity check for WB to NB, because I want to stay CL.

Questions.
    Does the CAT test happen in both CL and OL, or only CL? I have not seen it happen in OL yet.
    Does setting a DTC for the rear O2 sensors to report a rear O2 problem stop the CAT test? If so, will the P0420 and P0430 or P0140 set to No MIL be the choice for this?
    Will putting the rear O2 sensors back in stream with all rear DTC set to No Error (no cats) fix the random CAT test?
    With all things set properly, does the CAT test happen only once during a key cycle, or at random when it gets a pass?

The cat test should only run when it's reached operating temp in closed loop. Open loop does not use the o2 sensors at all, so it wouldn't start the test there.

I tried it both ways with DTC's settings, still tripped the test.

Putting the sensors back in or just plugging them in and having the codes disabled "should" stop the test. It's how I stopped it from happening and no further problems.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the info 5FDP.

I was going to try to just connect some cheapo sensors without putting them in stream first. Good to know that "might" be a fix.

Would it be correct to say the P59 is focused on seeing the circuit, and not so much the feedback of mv?

That's the way I understand it, the circuit means more than what they are actually doing.