Thread: I guess the case relearn feature is never going work?

Advanced Tuner

I guess the case relearn feature is never going work?

I asked about this in March. I've done all the updates.
    I now have a different vehicle, an '03 s10 that I changed the cam and crank sensors on. Now the CEL flashes at highway cruise around 2200 rpm. It will eventually set P0300. The VCM scanner shows only #2 and #5 missing at 2000 to 2500.
    Tried case relearn and same thing, no confirmation that it worked on the scanner, nothing. Apparently it didn't because I can clear the code, rev it back up an the CEL flashes again, and it eventually stores P0300.

It's absolute bullshit when you buy something and it doesn't do everything the manufacturer tells you it'll do.

So get the engine up to temperature.
    shut it off.
    apply the parking brake.
    Foot on the brake, start it up.
    Open vcm scanner.
    Click on case relearn.
    gradually rev to fuel cutoff, or not, depending on what you read. You might need to stomp the gas pedal.
    Don't click on 'ok' in the pop up box, or click it. Depending on who you ask or what hptuners help file you read.
    Shut the vehicle off for at least 15 seconds.

Receive no confirmation it was completed successfully.

Please someone either just grow the balls and tell me it doesn't work, research and development said fuck it and gave up. Something.
    Does it work and the help file gives the wrong instructions on how to do it?
    Whats the problem here?

Don't tell me it's mechanical or 'on my end' I've replaced enough shit and it does the same thing. If it wasn't for the CEL and converter staying unlocked no one who drives this would know it's misfiring. It has good power, IT'S NOT MISFIRING.
    Last edited by Jason B; 11-06-2017 at 06:13 AM.

You could be a little more polite. We do try to go out of our way to help each individual with their problems.

We rewrote the case relearn function for GM in May of this year. If you're using the latest 3.6, you should have it.

I believe the vehicle you're working on is an older GM VPW vehicle. I'm not sure if we have all the negative responses defined for those vehicles or not. However, you should receive at least some sort of confirmation. What does the popup box say when you finish the relearn? Have you created a support ticket with a debug.dat? What is your ticket #?

There are a couple of conditions with the crank relearn though. One of them is you can't have any faults, nor can you throw a fault during the procedure. It sounds like you're throwing a fault during the procedure. If that's the case, this isn't something we can fix on our end. That's a rule forced by GM's OS in your PCM.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Advanced Tuner
    Am I throwing a fault during the procedure? The last time I tried this in March is was anyones guess as to how you define 'gradually' depress the gas pedal. Some say you should reach fuel cutoff in x seconds. Some say the stomp it. If I stomp it, it won't leave a fault code.
    Is there an updated procedure?

The dialog box, scanner, etc does nothing afterwards. Thats one reason I'm asking. If it said successful it would be ok. If it said failed I would be asking why. But it says nothing.

Sorry if I'm a bit irritated by this. Fwiw I deal with irate customers daily IN PERSON FACE TO FACE. I guess I'm learning bad habits. And still I go way above and beyond after getting cussed out for something I've never touched, didn't design, engineer, etc. I wish I could deal with them over the internet or phone.
    Thanks for your help. I appreciate more than you know.

It sounds like you're throwing a fault during the procedure based on what you stated. We'd need to see a debug.dat to find out what's going on, and hopefully that could tell us something. You'd need to open a support ticket for that.

It's odd the scanner isn't giving you a dialog box of any kind.

As far as the RPM ramp up, I don't know what the GM manual says. I've always targeted 3-4 seconds between idle and max test rpm limit (sometimes around 4K RPM). You should notice when you hit the rpm limiter during the test, as it should be lower than your normal idle rpm limiter.

FWIW, people had issues with the case learn procedure before we made the update. After we've updated it, I haven't seen a single issue yet. You're the first one to report a problem.

Tuner in Training
    make it 2 that can't get it to work. I've been fighting with this forever also. now it won't even allow me to try the relearn as it says I have diagnostic faults present. I have none present and all tests are good

Advanced Tuner
    It only sets a fault if I hold the rpm for not sure but way longer than a few seconds.
    The dialog box comes up, it says gradually rev engine until fuel cutoff and release pedal, theres an ok tab in the box. I click ok rev it, nothing. Don't click it, rev it, nothing. There are no fault codes before or after. And the fuel cutoff is noticeably lower, which makes me think it is doing something.

If the fuel cutoff is noticeably lower, than it's likely working.

If the vehicle wasn't in the correct condition, the software should tell you. The software knows this because the vehicle reports incorrect condition when you try to start the test. If the conditions are correct, the test state starts in the PCM (which usually includes a lower RPM limit).

So, it sounds like it's working for you.

Advanced Tuner
    Ok so how do I know if it worked?
    I changed a few parts that says a case relearn will be required. But I never got the code that says it needs a case relearn.
    I'm getting a p0300 code and the scanner says only #2 and #5 are misfiring and only between 2200 and 2800.
    So my main questions are how do you know if you need a case relearn. But most important how do you know if the hptuners case relearn was successful?

Advanced Tuner
    One other very important note. You cannot feel any misfire at all. The CEL starts flashing right at 70mph and 2200 rpm. Right at highway cruise and I drove 100 miles Friday with not one studder, just a flashing light and no tcc.

Open a ticket with your debug.dat and we can look at it to see if the response from the PCM is what should be expected.

But typically, if you hit the lower RPM limit, it worked. That's basically it. There isn't much more too it than that.

Senior Tuner
    tried to do one friday on an avalanche. it shut the scanner down..
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

Quote Originally Posted by Area47 View Post
    tried to do one friday on an avalanche. it shut the scanner down..
    What's your ticket #?

Senior Tuner
    didn't start one. it was 2 am and i was way too tired.
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

Advanced Tuner
    Well I did the crank relearn today.
    There is a status bar on the bottom of the popup box. It never did anything.
    The dialog box that says gradually rev to fuel cutoff...... if you don't click the ok box it hits the rev limiter.
    If you click the ok box the fuel cutoff is approx 4000 rpm. Thats the only validation that it did anything.

Now the interesting part. Last time after I found it was reporting misfires I watched the cylinder misfire channels it said #2 and #5 were misfiring, very consistent and repeatable.

NOW after doing the crank relearn #2 and #5 WILL NOT report a single misfire. NOW it's #1 and #4, and very few from #6. Very repeatable, very consistent. I have no idea.

All I can think of is the distributor cap. I've tried two with same results. I'm looking at where the internal conductor (or whatever you call it) for #2 is very close to the rotor contact for #1 and same for #5 being close to #4. Seems like a good place to crossfire. But I have no idea why a crank relearn would change the reported misfiring cylinders.
    Last edited by Jason B; 11-07-2017 at 02:47 PM.

Tuner in Training
    I posted this in the gen3 v8 forum but then saw this thread which is exactly the same problem I'm having:

I've tried 3 times so far to do a crank relearn, but I get no indication that anything is happening, it just revs up to redline. First I click the "crank relearn" button, and get a dialog saying to slowly rev up until fuel cutoff which should be at 4K, I click OK (the only button) to dismiss that dialog, hold the brake pedal down, rev up and it just keeps going past 4K, no other messages or anything. The last time I tried it I set "no error reported" for all DTCs, which was recommended in another thread, but same result. There are no current DTCs. Engine is an LS1 (2000) with a new mild cam. HPtuners version is very recent. I get the impression from other posts that there should be a "Begin" button at some point ? There's nothing in the interface after the OK button.

Advanced Tuner
    Thats what I was posting about back in march. I was doing it on a 5.3. I guess if the rev limiter seems lower than normal, it did something.

I still believe there should be something that tells you it was completed. It's just plain stupid.

In my line of work my customers can watch me, it's not automotive. But if I did something similiar to this with a customer watching and they pointed out that the status bar didn't move, in fact it looks like whatever I did failed, well I'd have a tough time explaining it. How would that go? Something like 'yes mr customer I know it looked like complete bs (and honestly I'm not sure myself is it isn't) but trust me this did something'

Advanced Tuner
    Since I'm pulling my hair out trying to get this to work (since I've been told it "should" work) I found this video. THIS IS NOT MY VIDEO. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qd-1BBVv9o

Seems very thorough and straight forward. I'd really be happy with just a simple 'ok' afterwards. Anything is better than a mystery.