Thread: 2017 Silverado 5.3 throttle and timing issues

Advanced Tuner

2017 Silverado 5.3 throttle and timing issues

Dialing in my MAF and my throttles shutting right at 5500 to redline only in third and fourth gear. I tried raising the peak torque in that area with no positive results.
    Also for some reason it's not pushing the timing i'm commanding.

Edwin-2017 stock tune.hpt

Edwin-2017 tune 1.hpt

2017 throttle issue.hpl
    2023 Ford Maverick 2.0T AWD

Senior Tuner
    Speed limiter.
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Area47 View Post
    Speed limiter.
    Speed limiter is set to 150 mph.

Senior Tuner
    fuel limit is, the rest of not. Remember, everything in the newer system affect everything else in some form or another.

Advanced Tuner
    I set the speed limiter communication fail to 150 and still nothing. You're saying that I should change even the 4WD low,reverse and minimum as well?

Advanced Tuner
    Here's my latest calibration.
    Changes to all the speed limiter tables as requested. I also made changes to the peak torque table in the problem areas and even tried changing the electronic throttle pressure ratio limits as it was once mentioned on here that it solved this issue i'm having.

None of it worked...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by HeavyChevy305; 12-14-2017 at 01:36 PM.

Senior Tuner
    As a quick test, you can set the enable rpm to 7k, which would null and void all speed limiter options.

Take a look at the type of time of torque management is kicking in. This will drive the next change that needs to be made.

You should be logging your torque parameters to see how much is being reported. You can bump up the driver demand and peak torque tables further. Your commanded timing is likely lower from commanded with the humidity table pulling.
    www.crawford-racing.com
    Home of the original and best selling CR-Fueler plug and play port injection controller kits for all GM Gen V direct injection platforms.

Advanced Tuner
    What specific PID should I log?
    Don't the peak torque numbers and DD tables have to be realistic? I really doubt my bolt ons truck is making 440+ at 5,500 rpm lol.

The torque calculations will be different on E85. You won't know why it is closing the throttle until you log your torque PIDS. There are a few you will want. Reported engine torque, predicted torque, trans torque, torque management type etc.. Don't be afraid of adding a bunch of parameters to log. You have to have data in order to make decisions of what it needs.
    www.crawford-racing.com
    Home of the original and best selling CR-Fueler plug and play port injection controller kits for all GM Gen V direct injection platforms.

Advanced Tuner
    "The torque calculations will be different on E85". My trucks platform auto adjust based off alcohol composition (%). Doesn't it?
    I zero'ed out the humidity spark table and got back some timing, but something is still pulling about 1/2 degrees total.
    Last edited by HeavyChevy305; 12-15-2017 at 09:40 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Area47 View Post
    As a quick test, you can set the enable rpm to 7k, which would null and void all speed limiter options.

Take a look at the type of time of torque management is kicking in. This will drive the next change that needs to be made.
    I set the enable rpm to 7k and it didn't work.

Advanced Tuner
    I hope i'm logging enough shit lol...

Probably losing that .5 degree from the burst knock multiplier.
    Add 10% to the bottom rows of the driver demand table and try again. It drops right as the throttle starts closing.
    www.crawford-racing.com

Tuner in Training
    **this is a straight guess - beware **
    Transmission
    Auto Shift Properties
    Shift Time > Desired Output Torque Factor "Normal" (3-4)
    -Zero out the chart-
    **Total Guess**

Tuner in Training
    I also noticed when you stand on it your accelerator pedal position is 86.3% and your throttle position is 83.9%
    This could just be math error, but maybe your leaving power on the table ...?
    ...but...
    That's not why I bring it up
    Your driver demand torque tables are based on VSS the way they sit and take a look at what happens around VSS=90 with a pedal position of 86%...
    Requested torque starts to fall off pretty rapidly above that speed.
    Your going to have to tear the carpet out so you can mash the pedal down more.

Tuner in Training
    Just kidding man ... if it were me ...
    I'd take all three Driver Demand Torque tables (A,B & C)
    At the 86% pedal position
    From a VSS of 50 all the way through 180
    make them all 250.

I'm a newbie, so take this as an educated guess, but I have done way worse to a driver demand table without wrecking anything.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyChevy305 View Post
    "The torque calculations will be different on E85". My trucks platform auto adjust based off alcohol composition (%). Doesn't it?
    I zero'ed out the humidity spark table and got back some timing, but something is still pulling about 1/2 degrees total.
    I would think the trucks would definitely have accurate torque tables for E85 also?

I think there is some sort of E85 torque limiting we don't have access to, in your case though you are seeing throttle closing, but I never saw throttle force closing just it pulling timing for no reason immediate engine torque didn't even drop off (which immediate torque is controlled by mostly timing since its faster than manipulating the throttle)

Tuner in Training
    I gotta say I'm really not fond of the Gen V torque methodology.
    I guess these common core math kids made it into the GM engineering department.

Advanced Tuner
    Alright back with updates.

Veee8 was on the right track,but I discovered some other things that were PROBABLY affecting the throttle issue as well.
    Trans<general< Cmd gear control limits. Max rpm was set to 5,500 and Max speed was set to 88mph. Changed those.
    Your Airflow models HAVE to be within 1%. My MAF was off 1% too rich based off my wideband. Corrected it and the throttle went from shutting at 5,400 to 5,560.

Logging all the engine torque and DD parameters helped me dial in the peak torque and spark timing tables. Numbers start going down when too much timing was added. It SEEMED to help with the throttle issue just not positive. What it did was raise all the logged torque numbers through a 3rd gear pull which in turn by the seat o' pants dyno made the truck feel faster.

Finally what I believe solved the issue was raising the DD tables. Veee8 suggested 10% which sounded like too big of a change to me so I up'ed the last 4 rows 1% at a time. Throttle stopped shutting at 7%.

Trucks hauling ass now,but a time slip will be the final confirmation. Ill try to get a good log when I have a chance.
    Last edited by HeavyChevy305; 12-28-2017 at 12:26 PM.