Thread: cammed 5.3 looses voltage at wot

Potential Tuner

cammed 5.3 looses voltage at wot

Hey guys just seeing what yalls input is on this.
    Have a cammed 5.3 at WOT on a second to third pull at about 5500 rpm the voltage drops and my truck leans out to about 16-17.0 afr then when shifts into 3rd voltage comes back up and truck goes back to normal afr.
    Im stuck between alternator or belt slipping what are some of yalls experiences,
    Thanks Guys

Quote Originally Posted by agt061794 View Post
    Hey guys just seeing what yalls input is on this.
    Have a cammed 5.3 at WOT on a second to third pull at about 5500 rpm the voltage drops and my truck leans out to about 16-17.0 afr then when shifts into 3rd voltage comes back up and truck goes back to normal afr.
    Im stuck between alternator or belt slipping what are some of yalls experiences,
    Thanks Guys
    My truck would do the same, but I didn't have AN AFR gauge to see. It would shift 2-3 and the belt would squeal, I would feel a loss in power until it completed the shift. I tried belts and bet dressing with no luck, I finally took scotch bright pad to the pulleys and it helped until did a turbo kit.

Potential Tuner
    thats weird im going to go get a 145 amp altenator tomorrow cause they will let me warranty it over to my account. so hopefully that fixes it

Potential Tuner
    Is it a stock belt setup? Enough belt wrap on the alt pulley, enough belt tension? You can try belt dressing and see if it helps. If it does help tensioner may be weak. I have seen folks sand blast a pulley to give it more grip.

Advanced Tuner
    Increase the pulley size on the tensioner.
    I have a burrito in my colon, yet refried beans come out...
    How i know it's from the same meal? I didn't ingest corn any other time.

Potential Tuner
    just put the 145 amp alternator on truck doesn't drop voltage and maintains a good afr condition. thanks guys