Thread: Swapping a 4.8 LS and T56 into a different chassis - license questions

Potential Tuner

Swapping a 4.8 LS and T56 into a different chassis - license questions

Forgive me if this has been covered. I searched and dug back through dozens of pages and didn't really find the answers I was looking for.

I am building a dedicated track car out of a 1992 Lexus SC400. I picked up a 2004 4.8 engine along with a 2002 4.8 PCM and TB (for DBC) a few years ago from a junk yard, both 24x, so I have no idea what VINs they are from (or even what truck). I am also mating the 4.8 with a T56 Magnum transmission and using an LS2 intake manifold, fuel rail and injectors, and a wiring harness from PSI Conversion, so I definitely need HP Tuners to get all of this working together. I'm a little confused how to get the licensing to work with this combo though. I have a couple questions:

Do I have to have the VIN from whatever truck the PCM/engine came out of in order to license this properly?

In my searches I am seeing people needing to spend 2 credits to get a bin from the repository, and 2 credits for something else, and more credits...spending all 8 credits before they can even get their engine started once. I don't plan on ever using HP Tuners to tune any other car, so I hope I would only ever need 2 credits regardless of what tuning I will be doing in the future. Is this correct? If I end up having to spend untold money on credits just to get the engine running I guess I'll have to look elsewhere. Hoping that's not the case though.

My tuning experience comes from the DSM world where I just bought ECMLink once and it works without any of this license insanity, so dealing with credits and stuff all takes some getting used to. I really just want to be able to have my engine run correctly with the 4.8/T56 combo.

Thanks!

I believe you will need 6 credits, someone was posting about this same thing recently.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyLineStreetCars View Post
    I believe you will need 6 credits, someone was posting about this same thing recently.
    Thank you for replying. I didn't come across another thread like this, so I must have missed it somehow. I guess HP Tuners is not very swap friendly, which is a bummer. I suppose as long as I will be able to do what I need to do for less than the 8 credits that comes with the initial purchase then it will be worth it. If anyone has a link to the other thread I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again.

Advanced Tuner
    2 credits to licence the pcm. It will read whatever the existing vin is, you don't need to know it.
    more credits get used when trying to match vin numbers for swaps. In your case vin doesn't matter so won't cost more

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben C View Post
    2 credits to licence the pcm. It will read whatever the existing vin is, you don't need to know it.
    more credits get used when trying to match vin numbers for swaps. In your case vin doesn't matter so won't cost more
    That is what I was hoping to hear, thank you. There definitely seems to be a LOT of confusion on how the licensing works. I wish there were a simpler way to handle things like this.