Thread: speed at constant 158 mph

Potential Tuner

speed at constant 158 mph

hey guys. i have an ls3/t56 (fbody) swapped into a 69 camaro using a bp automotive harness. its running an e38 ecm that shows it being a 2011 silverado.

i had it tuned and it runs great but always reads 158 mph which consequently makes the reverse lockout solenoid stay locked out making it difficult to get into reserve. its set to manual trans in the tune but it still stays locked out. i removed the solenoid and verified its proper operation by applying 12v and gnd to it and it operated as designed. Its also receiving 12 v at one pin of the connector and about .5 at the other, so the ecm is not grounding the pin due to it thinking its going 158mph ( i think anyways)

how do i get it to not see 158mph constantly so my reverse lockout will operate properly. It may also be worth noting that i do indeed have the vss still plugged in

Advanced Tuner
    Post your tune and a log. Is the ECM setup to be run as a manual trans or does it still think the auto is there?
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS - manual, CGM, 6M, sunroof, mods in process
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...
    2002 TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4.2L I6, lifted, tires, exhaust, SE22 Performance tuned

Potential Tuner
    camaro tune as done by scram speed 4-5-18.hpt

heres the tune i pulled from it. as far a i recall it was switched to manual

Potential Tuner
    i dont have a recent log after i got it dyno tuned, the weather isnt permitting driving it currently

Tuner in Training
    Use a manual OS, changing the box from auto to manual does not change the underlying OS. A Corvette manual OS works very well for your combination. I like the 2013 Corvette manual OS. You can full flash a manual tune or find a manual VIN and take it to a dealer to have them flash the PCM.

If I was stuck at 158mph I probably would not go for reverse Just kidding. Couldn't leave it alone.

Senior Tuner
    what is the ecm out of? This is key to the whole issue. HP tuners will not write to the internal tac module.
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

Advanced Tuner
    It's currently an automatic ECM tune, as others have said, simply changing the Trans type to Manual doesnt actually do anything to remove the logic. The easiest option is to flash an ECM manual OS, like Camaro68 mentioned.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS - manual, CGM, 6M, sunroof, mods in process
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...
    2002 TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4.2L I6, lifted, tires, exhaust, SE22 Performance tuned

Senior Tuner
    may not work as there is more tables in the background that are causing issues we do not have access too. you need to do a full write with a midi/tech2 for a manual vette OS to get around it.

Potential Tuner
    the ecm came in a harness and controller kit from bp automotive. so what it would be for specifically I would have not idea other that it calls itself an '11 Silverado.

I'm new to the tuning world and making modifications with hp tuners, but not new to the industry or the use of factory scan tools so I did some searching on what I could find on changing operating systems to try and save you guys some pain with novice questions.

it appears as if I would need to find an OS from likely a manual '13 vette and perform a "write entire". My assumption is I would need to source this from the tune repository. I would also assume at that point I would need to use two more credits to license that file in order to write it.

My concern is that at that point my existing tune is gone (other than the fact ill have it saved on the computer). So how does one go about getting my good dyno tune calibration I just had done back into my ecm since it will be overwritten by the new '13 vette OS? Something tells me there is a lot of manual "copy and pasting" of the tables.

Tuner in Training
    If the E38 ECM has a 2011 Silverado tune it should be a service number 12633238. That service no. can be flashed with any 2010 to 2013 Corvette OS or any 2010 up E38 OS. The HPT tune files are a complete read of all the tables in the OS, HP Tuners does not give us access to all the tables but they are in the file. A write entire will install all the tables even the ones we cannot access with HPT. Once the OS is flashed the corresponding VIN can be written to the ECM. Depending on the LS3 version installed the Corvette OS is close to the calibration LS3 needs, the usual adjustments to MAF, VVE and idle.

Senior Tuner
    do NOT flash a 10 camaro onto it. A world os hurt will happen when you keep slamming your head into the steering wheel. The silverado never came manual, so that OS does not have the proper previsions in there to handle it.

I am currently dealing with the exact same thing on a l92 swapped g35 with a t56. The only way around it is to get the OS flashed from a midi/tech 2. The pedal MUST match the tac model for the ecm. random dead pedals are no fun.

Tuner in Training
    Good call on the pedal Area47, forgot to mention that. The 2005-2013 Corvette pedal works great in the first gen Camaros with the Corvette OS. It also uses the same pedal pad as the first gen Camaro and Detroit Speed makes an adaptor to mount the pedal in the car without having to drill holes. Makes a very clean, easy install.

This is the ACDelco part number 25835421.