Thread: knock retard question

knock retard question

I hope I am posing the question correctly.

After doing a log, and let's say I notice some knock retard. To eliminate the knock retard can I look at the "chart display" and the "histogram" simultaneously to locate the cell (in the histogram) in which the knock retard occurred? By identifying the cell in the histogram, I can then cross reference with the "Main spark advance" and find the same cell and reduce the timing?

For example, I run the "chart display" and "histogram" together. From the "chart display" I see some knock retrard. I then can manually move my scan over where the knock retard occurred and this will highlight the cell in the histogram automatically. This will tell at which "rmp and g/cyl" cell it occurred. From there I can go to the "main spark advance table" and look up the same g/cyl cell and reduce the timing in that cell.

I am wrong in this or are there a multitude of other variables to cause the knock?

Thanks
    2004 Chevy Stepside Ext. Cab, 5.3
    mods: volant air intake, corsa cat back, tune, shorty headers, cammotion cam 218/222 .564/.552 112 4*advance, 4.11 Yukons, TT3000, Transgo shift kit

fuel is the biggest culprit of knock, make sure the fueling is correct before you start to blindly pull timing, or else you may hurt the power potential of th ecar
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Advanced Tuner
    I always try and throw more fuel at it first and see if the car picks up (at the track). If it doesn't, I lean it back out and subtract that amount of timing in that cell and the cells leading up to it. Also pay attention as to whether it happens every time in every gear or if it rears its ugly head in 3rd after a long haul.
    www.outlawpontiacdragseries.com
    Come race with us in MA, PA, and VA!

2005 GTO A4 - Spintech X-pipe with Powerstick mufflers, IAT relocate, Volant, !scoops, !cowlgasket, !skid plate, LM-1, HPT2.0/MPVI Pro USB, 275x40x17 Nitto DR, rolled fenders, Pedders 2985 springs, Britax baby seat with 5 point harness.
    Stock:13.36@104
    Mods in sig:[email protected]