Thread: Changes Needed to Tune for Comp Phase Lock

Senior Tuner

Changes Needed to Tune for Comp Phase Lock

My engine builder required I install a Comp phase lock (not limiter) on my forged 2014 6.4L engine (original 6.4L). I am trying to understand what if anything needs to be changed in the tune? At first I thought nothing, but now I am starting to think it cannot run right if I don't tell it the cam isn't moving? Or is it via the cam sensor it can see where the actual cam is and provide fueling accordingly?

Been chasing a hard start and no run condition since the new motor and cam. Current tuner thinks the cam may be out of time and off a tooth, but I checked it 3 times before closing the motor back up. Once I get it running with some pedal input I was actually able to drive it for over 20min and it ran great (albeit very rich).
    Last edited by 06300CSRT8; 03-26-2018 at 01:46 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    you should be able to turn the cam phaser off in the tune. ENGINE>AIRFLOW>VARIABLE CAMSHAFT

Senior Tuner
    Thanks - biggest question is even if you DONT turn off the phaser but have the lock installed, and have turned off the DTC's, assume there will be no ill effects?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@HAP View Post
    you should be able to turn the cam phaser off in the tune. ENGINE>AIRFLOW>VARIABLE CAMSHAFT
    I have a phaser limiter but want to run the cam at full advance. If I understand what I have been reading the limter only allows the cam to retard. So If I disable the phaser I should have full advance?

I don't think it would be a good idea to turn off DTC's and still have cam enabled, either way probably not your start up issue. cam is at full advance cranking and idle, even when revving engine it won't move, needs to be in gear and rolling before you will see it move. Yes, IH8FORD, if you disable cam will be fully advanced all the time, in log you'll see like 134 or 136 in log on cam position.